M1 Pro vs M3 Pro and LrC Performance

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anjin San

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does anybody have both an M1Pro and M3 Pro (or Max I guess for either) and use both for LrC? If so…yeah…the M3s benchmark faster but is there really a worthwhile time saving in either LrC or PS/DxO/Topaz? The M4 is coming soon and is reported at about 25% faster than the. 3 nd the M3 is about the same faster than the M1…but TBH I’m not sure that DxO taking 3 minutes to DeNoise a batch vs 5 or 6 is worth upgrading anything. The geek in me obviously says to go for it…but I would need to upgrade both my Mac Studio and MBP…and as an old retired guy not making money with it my favorite bang for the buck theory says nah, not worth it. The geek said to see if somebody has both and wants to agree with the geek.

Thanks.

I can’t address your post specifically in the manner you asked for comparisons between different Apple Silicon models and the software you’re using. With that said, I’ll offer a few comments about my experience. Take it for what it’s worth.

When the M1 MacBook Pro‘s (14 in. and 16 in. models came out around Jan. 2022), after some research and listening to some ArtIsRight videos about M1 spec comparisons and suggestions I bought a 14 in. M1 MBP with just the base processor but upgraded the RAM to 32gb. I also upgraded the SSD storage to 2TB. The 14 in. M1 MBP is my only computer (notwithstanding my wife's M1 mini and our iPad Pros) - the M1 is my travel laptop (love the size) and my at-home desktop which I use in ‘clamshell’ mode, i.e., LCD closed and connected to an Eizo CS-2731.

I remain 100% happy and satisfied with this setup. So, some disclosures. I really don’t do any batch processing. I am not a prolific shooter meaning I don’t come home with hundreds or thousands of raw images each day. I enjoy tinkering around with one or two images at a time. I’m an old retired guy and this is my ‘at-home‘ entertainment. Such is life. My M1 is plenty fast enough for what I do. For example, I use Capture One Pro exclusively for Nikon NEF raw processing. I used to own two Z9’s but now own two Z 6III's. Also, I used to use Topaz DeNoise for NR as a CP-1 plug in. On my M1 a 45mp Z9 NEF Lossless Comp. ‘sent’ to DeNoise as an uncompressed Tiff for NR would take about 10 seconds for DeNoise to do its ‘thing’. Now I use DXo DeepPrimeXD for NR. I’ve measured the processing time in DeepPrimeXD for a 45mp Z9 NEF and it’s consistently 58 seconds. I simply don’t feel compelled to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a new Apple Silicon model to save an extra 10 or 15 seconds. And, I’ve never heard the M1 MBP fans run. Maybe they do, but I’ve never heard them. So, I hope this small sampling of stats means something to you.

Thus. a few bottom line thoughts … what is the benefit to you to spend what would be a substantial amount of money for a little extra speed? Of course, I really don’t know how you shoot and what your ‘needs’ and wishes are for a bit more speed. Your needs might be much more significant than my simple processing operation. I’ve followed with interest the various trends and advancements of the Apple Silicon laptop models and new releases. And, I admit, like the rest of us, I get tempted to get out the credit card and go shopping. But I don’t need to, because I bought the right machine for me to start with.

If there’s one piece of advice I can offer with confidence it’s this. You’re going to reap more performance benefit by increasing RAM with an Apple Silicon system rather than shelling out a lot of money for a faster processor. Of course, one cannot upgrade the ram afterwards. So, get it right to start with.

Last edited:
+1 on more RAM over more CPU.

I have an M1 MBP, but it’s only equipped with 16 GB; surely wish I had 32+. That said, patiently waiting for the M4’s to drop at which time I’ll begin shopping in earnest for a refurbed M2 Max Studio Pro with 64 GB RAM and likely 2T SSD.

I use Narrative, LrC, PS and Topaz AI, not necessarily in that order. Dual BenQ PD3200U displays, and learning my way around LoupeDeck. RAW images out of a Z8 and/or D850... meanwhile, incrementally cleaning up nearly three decades of Apple iPhoto/Photo/Aperture images, generally culling and bringing into LR for processing.

Back