Mac configuration advice for photo editing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I am planning on an upgrade from a very sluggish 2015 MacBook Air to edit my photos.

I shoot RAW images with a Nikon Z8 and edit with Lightroom, Photoshop, and all Topaz software at the moment. No plans to work with video for the time being.

My planned configuration is the 14-inch MacBook pro:

Apple M3 Max chip with 14‑core CPU, 30‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
36GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

Could I please get some advice on whether this would be a sufficient machine to allow for fast and efficient, lag-free photo editing? Any edits to the suggested configuration that anyone would recommend?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I am quite new to the forum!

Many thanks in advance,

David

Hi,

I am planning on an upgrade from a very sluggish 2015 MacBook Air to edit my photos.

I shoot RAW images with a Nikon Z8 and edit with Lightroom, Photoshop, and all Topaz software at the moment. No plans to work with video for the time being.

36GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

Could I please get some advice on whether this would be a sufficient machine to allow for fast and efficient, lag-free photo editing? Any edits to the suggested configuration that anyone would recommend?

Many thanks in advance,

David
That is more than enough for photo editing. 👍👍 The only added advise that I can give , if the funds are available , is if you have considered a larger screen?

# 1— Will 1TB storage be sufficient?

I know that it’s possible to connect an external SSD, but doubling internal storage to 2TB should cost ‘only’ ±US$400. (Upgrade prices for 4TB & 8TB are scary!)

# 2 — Perhaps, consider an MBP with a larger screen.

Note : I have no experience using Lightroom (Lr) on an MBP, but I doubt that I’d be comfortable with the smaller screen.

… David

Last edited:
Thanks both, I will be adding an external display for home editing. And yes, one of the points I am really debating is whether to make the jump from 1 to 2 TB for internal storage. 2TB seems a lot, but 1TB maybe JUST enough - can't quite decide!

There is a huge Apple Tax on internal storage..Most buy external for editing/storing using their internal for the operating systems and apps...You will need to buy external anyway for backups..

Hi,

36GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage

Many thanks in advance,

David
I just got this computer. I’m on my way to photograph puffins and I’ll be testing it out. I think it will be more than adequate. If I can remember I’ll post when I return home about how well it worked.

Your choice is great, Consider factors as others have mentioned.
The 16" is much nicer for a dual monitor set up. I use mine with a BENQ 321. Your 2015 might be fine for backups and light review while traveling if that case.
I would stick to the 1TB and plan on having additional drives at home for the reasons others mentioned.
Consider a Thunderbolt Dock with NVME enclosures and buy your preferred memory mfg NVMe.
I have both the Hyper and OWC enclosures. The Hyper is much faster and it's as if I have expanded my internal HD with 4TB. Don't know what is available in your home country.
You will be amazed at the difference between your new computer and what you have now.

Hi, In my opinion, this configuration should be sufficient for image editing. However, I have a different opinion when it comes to image editing on a laptop. The size of the screen would be too small for me. That's why I edit my images on a Mac Studio and a 27-inch, calibrated screen. But everyone has to decide for themselves.

External drives are cheap, I wouldn't pay crazy Apple prices for extra internal drive memory if I were you. Otherwise, I'd have to say that your planned purchase should be more than enough for photo editing.

Back