Mac Mini 2 Pro and Rosetta

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am using a Mac Mini 2 Pro. In Photoshop CC 2024, I cannot use the Remove tool. It says, "Can't use the tool because your system is running Rosetta".

I believe that Rosetta is a Mac OS solution that is used with Photoshop which have Intel third-party apps that are not compatible with Mac's M1/M2 chips.

On the internet, Adobe shows a way to turn off Rosetta (something that I wouldn't be able to do myself). But wouldn't doing so then prevent me from using all my third-party apps like Topaz AI, Aurora HDR, Luminar 4, Focus Magic and several others?

Is there a real workable solution or have I made an error of judgement in going for the Mac Mini 2 Pro?

I use a 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro and have no problems with Photoshop's Remove tool. I did not migrate the applications from an older computer (I reloaded them as "new" installs). If you did you may have migrated the Intel version of Photoshop which on a Mac with the M1/M2 chip would need Rosetta to run.

An easy way to check is to click once on the Photoshop Application icon in the "Finder" window and select "Get Info" from the "File" menu. Up near the top of the Info box, under "General" will be an entry for "Kind:" It should say "Application (Universal)" if you downloaded Photoshop as a "new" application. If you migrated your applications from an older Mac it might say "Application (Intel)".

On my "Get Info" box with Kind: = Application (Universal) there is a check box just below the version number (25.11) that can be ticked to "Open Using Rosetta". On my computer that box is unchecked (was the default choice , not one I made). That click box probably is not present for the Intel version as that version would need Rosetta to work on an M1/M2 Mac.

Not sure if what I described is your issue but deleting and reinstalling Photoshop from Adobe might fix the function of the Remove Tool. The install from Adobe will know you have the M2 Pro chip and install the version needed (you are not given a choice).

Do not know if your other , non-Adobe plug-ins will work. I have the NIK set and they work. I would suspect other plugins have updates by now for the M1/M2 chip.

Thank you Robert. I feel you have hit the nail on the head. When I got the new Mac, I had told the man "Download everything from my Windows to the Mac".
I will request a friend to carry out this work (I could mess it up) and will inform you once it is done. This may take some time, depending on when my friend will be free to visit my home.

Thank you again.

Back