Machias Seal Island Again !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

VTRich

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Well, I finally got to go ashore on Machias Seal Island yesterday. It actually turned out to be the last trip out to the island for Bold Coast Charter for the season. They had trips scheduled for this Sat/Sun, but canceled them due to bad weather due to move in. Basically only Puffins and Gulls left at this point, and the light was harsh, but it was still a good time. We did see four Razorbills in the water. No Terns or Murres were seen. I would estimate may 20% of the Puffin population remained. They said the Terns, Razorback, and Murres tend to leave in mass, all at once, while the Puffins gradually leave over the course of several weeks. A lone Cedar Waxwing greated us as we went ashore. There were two Northern Harriers patroling the island. We knew they were close to the blind when all the Puffins suddenly disappeared. One of the guides on the boat (Abby) also runs a lobster boat with her husband. Since it was the last day, we pulled up next to her lobster boat and watched her husband and crew pull in a line of traps. A lot of shots left to process, but here are a few that I have done so far..

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-304855-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-305582-Enhanced-NR.jpg

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-305317-Enhanced-NR.jpg

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-305280-Enhanced-NR.jpg

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-304915-Enhanced-NR.jpg

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-306416-Enhanced-NR.jpg

MAchiasSealZ8-2024-August-16-8-305478-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Back