Macro by telephoto

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Some wasp species in Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, Roodepoort, Gauteng.
00445 11X8W D800 8754.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
600 f/4 handheld, D800, ISO 640, f/5,6, 1/1000

Thanks, but the old man had to let the 600 go, got too heavy, now the 500 f/5,6 does the same work but so much easier:LOL:
You are very right. I too love my new 500 f5.6PF, but everytime I see Steve's wonderful pictures shot with the 600mm, I still get tempted to get the 600mm time and again. Wish Nikon could come out with the 600PF. Life would get easy for old folks like us.

That's certainly impressive, handheld with a 600F4. :)
I agree! The 500PF is a game changer for me. My 600 has only seen minimal action of the last year.

I also sometimes use a 600mm for butterflies and dragonflies. I add the TC1.4 to increase magnification as the minimum focus distance doesn't change. Many butterflies are skittish and although it's harder in some ways to use the big lens, the risk of scaring the subject away is minimal. I do typically use a tripod for this however. It can be a lot to lug around.

You are very right. I too love my new 500 f5.6PF, but everytime I see Steve's wonderful pictures shot with the 600mm, I still get tempted to get the 600mm time and again. Wish Nikon could come out with the 600PF. Life would get easy for old folks like us.
Actually, according to Nikon Rumors, a 600 f/5.6 is on the way. That was where I first saw the rumour of the 500 f/5.6 and it started the weighing process between the 600 beast and the 500 fairy!.

Great image @Callie

Did you run an extension tube on your 600mm f/4 to improve the close focus distance? I've done that before for Dragonflies and similar sized insects when shooting the big glass.
I have never actually used extension tubes though I had two sets over several years. I do not like taking a lens off a body unless it is indoors. Where I normally shoot, I always needed the "naked" lens reach because I can shoot 5 m to 500 m at any time. But the tubes does work for sure.

Actually, according to Nikon Rumors, a 600 f/5.6 is on the way. That was where I first saw the rumour of the 500 f/5.6 and it started the weighing process between the 600 beast and the 500 fairy!.
Yes I had read about that, way back in May 2019 that it is coming but have yet to see the light of day. Hopefully soon......

Yes I had read about that, way back in May 2019 that it is coming but have yet to see the light of day. Hopefully soon......
Its like waiting for the next wish-list image, you never know when it may happen, and then, it there!:giggle:

Back