Macro for D7500?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MMoretti

Michael
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m looking for a macro to donate to a birding non-profit in Honduras. They have a D7500 and would like to start documenting ‘smaller wildlife’… if I get the 105/2.8 G, how will this work on that crop-frame body? Will it impact the MFD? Would you recommend any alternative macros, such as the 105/2.8 D?

Last edited:
I’m looking for a macro to donate to a birding non-profit in Honduras. They have a D7500… if I get the 105/2.8 G, how will this work on that crop-frame body? Will it impact the MFD? Would you recommend any alternative macros, such as the 105/2.8 D?
The Nikon 105mm f/2.8 G lens will work nicely on a D7500. There's no change in minimum focusing distance. Since the D7500 is an APS-C crop sensor camera the field of view will be equivalent to nearly a 150mm lens on a full frame camera.

The 105mm f/2.8 G lens is also compatible with Nikon teleconverters and retains very good image quality when used with the TC-14e II or III TCs or even the 2x TC.

Thank you very much for this information and your insights. I suspected that MFD would be similar to if I was using a TC. I think this lens will work well for what they have planned.

Thank you very much for this information and your insights. I suspected that MFD would be similar to if I was using a TC. I think this lens will work well for what they have planned.
The beauty of teleconverters is that they don't change the minimum focusing distance which is great in macro applications. Using say a 1.4x TC with a 1:1 macro lens means you can either stay at the same working distance and get 1.4:1 macro ratio or you can move back for a bit more working distance on live subjects and still get 1:1 macro.

If they could do without VR, a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, either the older or newer model lenses would be good.
But...I can't say anything negative about my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 with VR, either. Works great on my D7500.
Except when I was getting used to it, I was forever trying to get closer than the minimum focusing distance! :geek: But...It's a MACRO lens, isn't it"

As others have stated previously, the Nikon 105G will work fine on a D7500. My wife uses this combination for macro work underwater (sometimes with an external magnifier which pushes the magnification to approximately 2.3:1). The 105D will also work similarly well on a D7500. I used to use the D version on a D850 underwater but have replaced it with a G version because the auto-focus is much quicker and a difference maker in some situations.

The Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR is the best choice if you are planning on a donation as it is the least likely to have any compatibility issues with the D7500.

The Sigma 105mm f2.8 OIS is a bit better value for money (especially on the used market) but I don't know how well it plays with the D7500 ... mine works great on a D500 and D810...

The Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO (OIS or no OIS versions) is probably the best macro out there (perfect balance between size, image quality and working distance for less than 500$ used) but it they can be quite iffy when it comes to compatibility with newer bodies...

Also, depending on how small is the smaller wildlife they want to document, they might actually benefit from something like a 300mm f4 and 1.4x TC (e.g: for skittish butterflies and dragonflies).

I’m checking with them to get more specifics on their needs. I know they use a P1000 for eBirds, and also have a Tamron 100-400 which is used on the D7500.

I just discovered the 85 mm f3.5 Micro DX lens. Had no idea that it existed. 😆
I have this lens which I use on a D7200 and used it on a D500. Actually, it is quite a sharp lens, light weight and compact. It would work perfectly on a D7500.

Here is a shot I captured last week with the D7200 and 85mm Micro DX. I used the D7200 when we traveled to capture the eclipse. (it would be less expensive to replace if I burned a hole in the sensor than my other cameras). It is quite the capable outfit and I think it would work well for them on a D7500
_5JS4463.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I just discovered the 85 mm f3.5 Micro DX lens. Had no idea that it existed. 😆
I bought the 85mm Micro DX back in D5100-D7200-D500 days and dabbled quite happily in macro with it. There's no question that their are lenses, but for affordability, light weight and small size and yet goo working distance, this is a fine alternative. I still use it on a Z7 when I need 1:1 macro.
Peter
110903_0236.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back