Macro insects

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Nikon Z7-2 Nikon 105mmZ macro lens
1-Four toothed mason wasp
2&3-Bumblebees
4&5-Clear wing hummingbird moths

Z72_2585-Enhanced-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z72_2600-Edit.jpg
Z72_2232-Enhanced.jpg
Z72_2292-Edit.jpg
Z72_2295-Edit.jpg

I suppose they are like Hummingbirds in that you need to use high-sync flash to get a fast enough "shutter speed". The problem I run into with super-fast shutter speeds to get the freeze is underexposure unless I boost the ISO way up (way, way up!). I have a couple of shots that came out nice when they were on the feeder when the sun was shining on it, but not perfect.

Here is a great article on the subject. They make it sound easy.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...vnVg9ugEG5b1gm7qb2bjlvQnjJfMSXVxoCQ0sQAvD_BwE

I fell over the weekend trimming low-hanging tree branches, down the hill in my back yard and into the rock garden. So I am out of commission until the back spasms stop. I can't drive while using the drugs the ER Doc prescribed so I'm stuck at home for a few days.

This sounds like a good backyard project for today!

I suppose they are like Hummingbirds in that you need to use high-sync flash to get a fast enough "shutter speed". The problem I run into with super-fast shutter speeds to get the freeze is underexposure unless I boost the ISO way up (way, way up!). I have a couple of shots that came out nice when they were on the feeder when the sun was shining on it, but not perfect.

Here is a great article on the subject. They make it sound easy.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...vnVg9ugEG5b1gm7qb2bjlvQnjJfMSXVxoCQ0sQAvD_BwE

I fell over the weekend trimming low-hanging tree branches, down the hill in my back yard and into the rock garden. So I am out of commission until the back spasms stop. I can't drive while using the drugs the ER Doc prescribed so I'm stuck at home for a few days.

This sounds like a good backyard project for today!
That sucks I hate to hear that. Hopefully you get better soon.

5 really good shots, like the depth of field on the bees. What are your distance to the insects? Going in close I sees to be getting much narrower DoF
Thank you. About 12-18 inches as I don’t like getting stung lol. I got nailed a few weeks back by a bumblebee and sorta weary now.

Back