Macro photography with a Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am scheduled to go to a macro workshop in Costa Rica. At this time, I do not own a Z mount macro lens. Should I bring my F mount 300mm f/4 PF lens to use with the TC-14 E III teleconverter and the FTZ2 adaptor, or should I rent a Nikon Z MC 105 f/2.8 macro lens for the trip? Any suggestions or advice would be more than appreciated.
Corey

I've done macro work in Costa Rica last summer on a trip there with Steve. I used the Z 105mm macro with great success. But I'm sure you can get excellent results using any of the F-mount lenses with the FTZ2 adapter. Of note is that the Z100-400mm lens is also excellent for macro work giving a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.38X which is fine except for the smallest of insects. Should work really well on the small frogs in Costa Rica.

If you plan to do macro during your travels, I recommend you go ahead and get the Z 105 and have it for the trip. Not much point in paying rental fees if your longer term needs include the Z 105.

Your goal seems to be to produce the best possible images......Why compromise?

I am scheduled to go to a macro workshop in Costa Rica. At this time, I do not own a Z mount macro lens. Should I bring my F mount 300mm f/4 PF lens to use with the TC-14 E III teleconverter and the FTZ2 adaptor, or should I rent a Nikon Z MC 105 f/2.8 macro lens for the trip? Any suggestions or advice would be more than appreciated.
Corey
Buy the Z 105 macro. It's a terrific lens.

Are you hoping for close-up shots or macro (i.e. 1:1 or 1:2)? If the latter, you will want a macro lens, and you may want to consider some type of stable platform (i.e. tripod or compact tripod) since 1:1 is generally not easy handheld. The former can be done with a lens that allows close focusing as @Ivan Rothman suggested, and a tripod/monopod may not be necessary depending on shooting conditions.

--Ken

First off, macro can become addictive. Your tele with converter may be able to focus close and get "Larter than life" type images but it is not really macro. Assuming the goal of your workshop is macro, I would suggest going ahead and getting the 105 Macro. If you have an FTZ you may be able to pick up a 105mm F2.8 Nikkor Micro used for not a lot of money. It is a fantastic lens.

The Z 105mm MC would be a great lens in Costa Rica, but there are a lot of larger butterflies, reptiles, amphibians, etc. that you don't need 1:1 capabilities for, and you're often not going to get very close to. The 300mm PF w/TC works well for that kind of thing. Take both.

The Z 105mm MC would be a great lens in Costa Rica, but there are a lot of larger butterflies, reptiles, amphibians, etc. that you don't need 1:1 capabilities for, and you're often not going to get very close to. The 300mm PF w/TC works well for that kind of thing. Take both.
Do you happen to know if the 300 would take well to a close-up filter (e.g. Marumi) to give it a bit more close-up range? If the OP does not need 1:1, then this could be a good option if they do not want to acquire the 105 (which is near the top of my list when I migrate to mirrorless).

--Ken

You might also consider the Laowa 90mm macro which is good for up to 2X. I have not used this lens but reviews appear very positive and it is 1/2 the price of the Nikon 105MC. I do have the Nikon macro lens and it is excellent and would be better than the 300mm. I have tried the 300 PF for macro and it didn’t work for me. It just didn’t have the magnification necessary for most insects and spiders.

Do you happen to know if the 300 would take well to a close-up filter (e.g. Marumi) to give it a bit more close-up range? If the OP does not need 1:1, then this could be a good option if they do not want to acquire the 105 (which is near the top of my list when I migrate to mirrorless).

--Ken
I have a Canon 500D closeup lens that I have used. If I remember correctly, it gives you 0.6X magnification with a 300mm at infinity focus.

Back