Magnet Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DougC

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The ProGrade card reader has a very powerful magnet attached to the back. While packing for a trip I was concerned it could possibly damage my Samsung T7 portable drive so I packed it separately. Are my concerns justified? Could the magnet damage any photo equipment?

The ProGrade card reader has a very powerful magnet attached to the back. While packing for a trip I was concerned it could possibly damage my Samsung T7 portable drive so I packed it separately. Are my concerns justified? Could the magnet damage any photo equipment?
I have the same card reader (and T7 SSD drives) as well, and I don't worry about the card reader getting close to the SSD drives. SSDs use flash memory to store data, which is not susceptible to magnetic fields, unlike spinning hard disk drives.

Floppy disks or DAT can be affected by magnets and also by the magnetic field from CRT monitors or from loudspeaker coils. Solid state memory modules are most likely to get damaged by an electrostatic shock. The card only needs a key sector to be damaged to cause problems for the user.

As devices are using smaller and smaller circuitry they are more vulnerable as the gaps between circuits are smaller and smaller.

From a real world perspective, if the magnetic field of that magnet was strong enough to disrupt the ssd, imagine what it would do to you cf card every time you used it? SSD’s and other flash memory use charge stored in micro transistors unlike the magnetic state of the media in a HD. Theoretically, large fluctuating magnetic fields could with time disrupt an SSD or even damage it but one would need a super magnet or EMP to accomplish that.

I have a number of bus powered spinning disks that I use to clone my SSDs.
I could do without the fuss to make sure I keep the reader away from them.
If I had known about the magnet I would have returned it. Unfortunately I bought it when on the road for some time
so I still have it. I am also a bit apprehensive at just how hot it runs when in use and it stays warm when idle with no card in it.

Back