If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Per my comments in the thread about action vs portraits I prefer shooting action(i.e. BIF). But some of my favorite shots always seem to be static/slow moving subjects. There are enough subjects in the swamp at Magnolia Gardens to wear your camera out. But these are a few that caught my eye.

1) Great egrets were certainly the most numerous of the waders.
_NZ93266_D+_fullrez.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2) Here's another
_NZ93742_DxO_fullrez.jpg

3) This GBH had a couple of chicks in the next but they wouldn't lift their heads.
_NZ93709.jpg

4) An anhinga doing the wing spread.
_NZ93716.jpg

5) The only green heron of the day
_NZ93793_D+.jpg

6) And a common gallinule casting a reflection
_NZ93828_D+_fullrez.jpg

Last edited:
Dan - fully concur with you, static images sometimes rocks and tells more that action - however, I feel that both tells or help tel the story we are seeing while waiting and shooting!
Beaut images! 😍 🤩

Dan - fully concur with you, static images sometimes rocks and tells more that action - however, I feel that both tells or help tel the story we are seeing while waiting and shooting!
Beaut images! 😍 🤩
Thanks, Callie. Yes in the right light and setting static shots can be just as satisfying. And just as memorable.

Beautiful set of captures! For a variety of reasons, BIF are a struggle for me. I really like to see the high quality static capture opportunities when I am out. Your set is gorgeous.

Beautiful set of captures! For a variety of reasons, BIF are a struggle for me. I really like to see the high quality static capture opportunities when I am out. Your set is gorgeous.
Thanks, Joe. Yes it's nice when they cooperate and perch in the right spot.

Great set with some beautiful light Dan, love those Egrets at this time of year with their breeding plumage.
Thanks, Louie. Yeah they're beautiful birds when they're showing off.

Dan, Very Very nice and great set,

Chris S.
Thanks, Chris.

Great stuff here. You may have only had one Green Heron to shoot, but I really love that picture. Terrific job.
Thanks, Woody. That guy was in an awkward spot and I had very limited options for 800mm. After camping on it for a while it finally took a step out where I could get a decent shot.