Magpie Lark Sigma 150-600 C 2X extender

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robert S

Magpie Lark 08 23 23 PP1-5036-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This was taken with Canon R7, Sigma 150-600 C with 2X converter. Overcast dull day. Support was a monopod. Seems the shoulder brace will now be arriving tomorrow. Had both my eyes open and am slowly getting used to doing that. ISO 1600 1/1000 sec f13
denoised

Would be interested in others' thoughts on this set up.

View attachment 62868

This was taken with Canon R7, Sigma 150-600 C with 2X converter. Overcast dull day. Support was a monopod. Seems the shoulder brace will now be arriving tomorrow. Had both my eyes open and am slowly getting used to doing that. ISO 1600 1/1000 sec f13
denoised

Would be interested in others' thoughts on this set up.
Got a bit of sunshine but birds had left so shot at a can. ISO 1600 1/1000 sec f13 14.6 m

can test 08 23 23 PP1-5057-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Depends on what your goal of the shots were... if you were testing out things at a specific shutter speed (1/1000th) then you might be doing yourself a disservice by having the fstop at f13 due to diffraction, but maybe that's wide open on this lens with the 2X.

Magpie shot looks underexposed (due to the camera metering the bright background) - so it's hard to tell if the eye is sharp. Similarly for the can - it almost looks the like the log is sharp, but the writing on the can isn't quite there.

Of course, if you had other goals for the photos, then maybe you achieved them.

Thanks for the reply Rob. The set up I used is the 'longest' I can get with the gear I own. The two extenders I have can not be stacked otherwise I would have stacked them. I think you nailed it at the beginning of your reply: " Depends on what your goal of the shots were... "
I enjoy looking at the photographs shown on this forum. Some are [ for me ] truly amazing. Whether the one's I consider amazing are technically prefect I would not know.
I recently checked out the OM1. I can't keep up with all the technological advances. However I did realise that the megapixel count of a camera body is misleading. This site limits size to 2 Meg. The Canon R7 is 30 plus Meg. I realise that for a 'good' print the pixel count matters.
I'll cut this short. I know I'm not capable of photographing swallows in flight. No amount of investment in gear is going to change that. I don't have the skill, my reflexes are too slow, my eyes are not good enough etc. etc. The rate of technological advancement is such that given another fifty years the images produced today will be considered mediocre [ by some ]. Does that entail we should wait fifty years to take photographs?
One of the goals for me is identifying birds. The image of the magpie lark is good enough for identification. So that particular goal has been met.
The question I would ask is "What are the goals of taking photographs of wildlife?"

The question I would ask is "What are the goals of taking photographs of wildlife?"
For me, there are a number of goals.
1) I get outside and enjoy nature. That is key for me, to get away from the maddening crowd and just relax in nature.
2) When I start taking pictures of an animal or bird, it's with the hope that I'll get something special, either a specific pose, or an activity that the animal is engaged in. Something that will set the image aside from all the others out there. This is to an extent self-serving; I want images that I can show to others, something good enough to peak their interest. I cannot imagine making pictures and not sharing them with others. That's one of the main reasons I attend Backcountry Gallery.
3) Display my pictures, either by printing and hanging them, or posting them to forums such as this for others to enjoy, critique, or offer suggestions to make it better. Many of my images are hanging on the walls of my home, perhaps not good enough for the most discerning of viewers, but good enough for me.
4) Learn more about animals. I cannot tell you how many times I've learned something new about animals by photographing them that I would not necessarily have noticed with the naked eye. For example, kingfishers beat fish against a tree branch to stun it before swallowing it. And while some small birds like finches, cardinals, etc., can crack open a sunflower seed with their strong beaks, birds with smaller beaks like the downy woodpecker, chickadee, and nuthatch, they have to take the seed to a tree where they use the hard surface of the tree to open the seed. The chickadee holds the seed down on a branch with its toes and pecks it open, while the nuthatch lodges the seed in a gap between the tree and the bark to hold the seed while it works on it. This means that some bird species come to a bird feeder to dine inv while others take a seed to go, eating it elsewhere before coming back for another one.

The vast majority of the images I shoot are trashed after reviewing them. I keep a select few, of which I edit even fewer, and some of those are posted here on the gallery. Once in a while I'm happy enough with one to print and hang it. So to summarize, for me wildlife photography is a hobby, and a process to arrive at the final product. Get out there, make the best possible images I can, get back home, edit the best ones, post those, and occasionally print and hang one.

The more I take pictures the more my skill levels improve, and the more critical I become of my own work. When I started out years ago I posted images that today I wouldn't even bother to edit, they are trashed immediately.

One of the best ways to improve one's photo skills involves growing a thick skin, and then posting an image in a forum that is dedicated to critique of images, such as this forum here on BCG. Many good folks out there are only too happy to share advice on how to improve. Having done that many times over the years since 2005 when I got into digital photography has helped me tremendously to improve my work.

The one piece of advice I would offer is to be specific as to the kind of feedback you need when posting here for critique or advice. That way people know what you are looking for and can address that specifically.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Rassie. What you posted makes a lot of sense. One of the problems is photography brings together two broad disciplines. One is the technical in which the process is primary. The second is aesthetic in which something is presented that is appreciated by others [ not all ]. Things can become frustrating when the two disciplines attempt to interact. Anyway that's all too confusing.
In future I will try to be more specific about things.

Back