Male Pileated Woodpecker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This one came really close. My wife and I were standing in a trail through the woods watching some geese and squirrels when this fellow landed in a tree very close. He stayed there about 10 minutes before flying to another tree.
_T3A5973.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice! These birds seem to be pretty tolerant of people as long as they're busy drilling away.
A lot of it depends on the location. This was at a park that gets a lot of human foot traffic on the trails and the pileated woodpeckers here are indeed tolerant of people. There are a few other locations we go for photography that are not as popular and the pileated woodpeckers there are super skittish.

Thanks for the compliment. I do think this one turned out pretty well.

Great photo. Around here most pileateds are super wary and you only get a glimpse of them flying through the trees -- once in a while one will tolerate a human for a short while.
Same here. This one was along a pretty heavily traveled walking trail in a local park. I guess he sees a lot of humans and either doesn't see us as a threat or we have just become part of the background for him. He totally ignored us and went about being a woodpecker. I agree, usually they are skittish.

Back