Maximum Reach?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
I wanted to show you how small the bird is when photographed with a 500 mm lens at an approximate distance of 35-40 feet. The image is 36 x 24 mm. In Photoshop, you may view it at actual size. (Here we see it much larger than it really is due to the difference in the resolution of Photoshop image (300 dpi) compared to whatever the resolution may be of this website).
How would you go closer to such subjects without them flying away? This was photographed in someone's home garden (where I couldn't possible set up a hide)
Last resort = Teleconverter ... 🦘

Nothing wrong with the Z7...it's the old 600D & 2xTC that's doing you in. If you can't get your mits on an 800pf and 2xTC ;), reshoot with stable atmospherics, if necessary, and run your best through Topaz Sharpen AI.

Nothing wrong with the Z7...it's the old 600D & 2xTC that's doing you in. If you can't get your mits on an 800pf and 2xTC ;), reshoot with stable atmospherics, if necessary, and run your best through Topaz Sharpen AI.
I ought speak a word in defense of the 600mm f4D. I sold mine because it was a shoulder breaker to carry around, but it was tack sharp. But! It doesn't have VR and I don't think the IBIS in the Z is up to the challenge. I had to use a big heavy tripod and a heavy gimbal and try and use perfect long lens technique (lock everything down, remote release, hand pressing down on lens etc etc.). With a 2x TC I think it would be almost impossible to get a sharp image in any way short of a solid anchor in a block of concrete. The 500 PF has been doing sterling service in its place.

Last edited:
The Olympus shot's photo quality is still very good. If you still want more detail, I think you still have lots for distance before you start disturbing them.
It is indeed. There are several advantages to full frame, though. a) more pixels on target = more freedom to crop b) better high ISO performance as the edges of day. Dusk seems ro be when they're most active. c) Nikon long primes seem have some indefinable snap to the images that I don't see otherwise. The 500PF has some of that, but I'm still not sure it's up to the Nikon holy primes trinity of 400 f2.8 and 500/600 f4s. It's enough to tempt me to get a used 500G.

P.S. after some years of use the GHOW nest is vacant this year. We had some seriously hairy storms in March some of the park regulars think the wind may have destroyed the nest. Certainly there were a lot of down trees and the parks are still cleaning them up.

Here's two examples of slow shutter speed shots, the Barred owlets (no crop) being at least 50 yards away in their nest and the mature Barred Owl (minimal crop to clean edges) being much closer. Greens in the first appear a little saturated because I was literally shooting through a gap framed by the leaves close by. Both shot on my D850 in Live View with Velo remote trigger, all VR switched off. Interestingly, with the mature Barred Owl, I captured just three frames before she flew off...two of which are blurred but this remains one of my faves.

600mm f4+ 1.4 TC, 1/5 sec, f8, ISO 250
View attachment 35629

600mm, 1/8 sec, f4, ISO 720
View attachment 35630
Great shots!

Thanks. That is a sharper image for sure, colors are pretty nice. Its good to see a more straight comparison, at least this is the same scene, even if the light is different.

I have an Olympus "Test and Wow" reserved for a shoot I have the first week of May with some baby Red Foxes. Hopefully the foxes cooperate, I'm interested to see how it goes for myself.

Not even the OM-1. 300 f4 and a MC-20 T/C is not an unusual combo to use. Nice shot.

Back