Mellow Yellow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A male Clouded Yellow butterfly nectaring on a Valerian flowerhead. I have seen this species on the wing in Spain in every month of the year apart from December and January. The caterpillars feed on various Legumes, such as Vetches and Alphalfa. Common and widespread through most of Europe, the Mediterranean and North Africa, but it is only in the warmer winter climes of the Mediterranean that it can survive the winter.

A2C07192-Edit-mask-composite.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wonderful image, David! It reveals the delicate but beautiful character of this butterfly. Nice work with the 100-400!
Thanks Karen, if I am out in the field to photograph insects I always take two Sony a1's on a clip belt with the 90mm macro on one hip and the 100-400mm on the other --- despite the spaghetti western comments, one or other of the lenses will get the shot !

Awesome capture David . The clarity and colours are absolutely fantastic ..

A quick question springs to mind , Is there any particular reason for such a fast Shutter Speed ie 1/2000 on a static subject ? I would have assumed a shutter speed below 1/1000 would be sufficient to freeze any motion , is that just my inexperience

Harry.G

Awesome capture David . The clarity and colours are absolutely fantastic ..

A quick question springs to mind , Is there any particular reason for such a fast Shutter Speed ie 1/2000 on a static subject ? I would have assumed a shutter speed below 1/1000 would be sufficient to freeze any motion , is that just my inexperience

Harry.G
Thanks Harry, yes you are correct, I would have preferred a slower shutter speed but there was a slight breeze that day which was periodically swaying the flowerhead, so I used the higher rate to try to negate any movement --- also, even on very still days with no wind there always seems to be some minor movements by an insect, like by one of its legs or the tongue probing into the nectary tubes, so in general I have used slightly higher speeds for them which I wouldn't have used for perched birds or static animals.

Thanks Harry, yes you are correct, I would have preferred a slower shutter speed but there was a slight breeze that day which was periodically swaying the flowerhead, so I used the higher rate to try to negate any movement --- also, even on very still days with no wind there always seems to be some minor movements by an insect, like by one of its legs or the tongue probing into the nectary tubes, so in general I have used slightly higher speeds for them which I wouldn't have used for perched birds or static animals.

Ahhh I see , makes sense , I never really thought about the flower head movement to be honest..

Harry.G

Back