If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm working with a D800, 70-200 +2xTCiii trying hard to get some waterfowl keepers at our Shuswap Lake cottage this last three weeks. Mostly failures but enjoy experience just the same by waters edge. Still more crop than I like in LrC given gear but this photo I like. Morning light, calm water, reflection eye sharp (Tripod, ISO 250, 400mm, F5.6). I mostly take landscape coupled with my motorcycle rides using this D800 with Trinity glass. This long in the tooth camera/lens kit works well for that purpose and I've lots of beauties capturing my adventures.
Now considering the 500 PF and new D850 for BIF activity. While this approach keeps my Trinity lens set still in play, I question wisdom of getting deeper into DSLR versus purchase of a new Mirrorless Camera with latest IQ/Lens kit. Leaning to A1 Sony. Your thoughts? Thanks, Glen

DSC_3826.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm working with a D800, 70-200 +2xTCiii trying hard to get some waterfowl keepers at our Shuswap Lake cottage this last three weeks. Mostly failures but enjoy experience just the same by waters edge. Still more crop than I like in LrC given gear but this photo I like. Morning light, calm water, reflection eye sharp (Tripod, ISO 250, 400mm, F5.6). I mostly take landscape coupled with my motorcycle rides using this D800 with Trinity glass. This long in the tooth camera/lens kit works well for that purpose and I've lots of beauties capturing my adventures.
Now considering the 500 PF and new D850 for BIF activity. While this approach keeps my Trinity lens set still in play, I question wisdom of getting deeper into DSLR versus purchase of a new Mirrorless Camera with latest IQ/Lens kit. Leaning to A1 Sony. Your thoughts? Thanks, Glen

View attachment 17496
Glen, while the D850 is a fine camera that takes wonderful images (some would say the best all around DSLR ever), I would not say it is fair to compare it to a Sony a1. They are in totally different price leagues. If money is not limited then the Sony a1 is likely one of the better choices for birds right now. Within the year the Nikon Z9 will be another option of that caliber and price point. I still have not made the switch to mirrorless because I do not feel Nikon has a better mirrorless option then what I currently have (D500, D850, D5) for my photo use. If I were to go mirrorless it would likely be Nikon because I am not ready to change all my lens. If it were me I likely would not move from D810 unless it were to Sony a1 or Nikon Z9 for wildlife.

Hi Vaughn. Thanks for input and appreciate your thoughts on this. In making the decision: if it were to be a Nikon Z9 I’d need a further F mount 500 PF (assuming no Z equivalent) for reach, plus a FTZ. If A1, (no adaptor ++) camera with a 100-400 +1.4 TC or 200-600 G lens: total costs roughly the same. I do want better tracking so Mirrorless has my attention. Thinking sell existing Nikon to fund newer technology. No rush tho....