If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

eft

Z91_1517-Edit-2-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

(no idea why I had the shutter speed cranked up so high - Merlins are fast and this one was rocketing in my direction but I'm sure the result would have been better at 1/4000 or even 1/3200)

Great photo! I wouldn't overanalyze the shutter speed. I got quite a few blurry photos the other day because the shutter speed was not high enough.

Reactions: eft
Nice shot and beautiful light. I need to head up to the greater White Rock area one of these days. Perhaps when there is another snowy owl eruption? They never seems to make it as far south as the greater Seattle area.

--Ken

Nice shot and beautiful light. I need to head up to the greater White Rock area one of these days. Perhaps when there is another snowy owl eruption? They never seems to make it as far south as the greater Seattle area.

--Ken
Snowy owls haven't been seen in these parts for many years. When the occasional snowy owl does show up, it's an absolute gong show and quite sad to witness. Hope you make it up here for all the other wonderful birds though! Thank for the nice words about the merlin image.

Nice shot!
Many thanks!

Great shot!
Thanks Ira !

Snowy owls haven't been seen in these parts for many years. When the occasional snowy owl does show up, it's an absolute gong show and quite sad to witness. Hope you make it up here for all the other wonderful birds though! Thank for the nice words about the merlin image.
The last eruption I can recall was in the winter/spring of 2012. Unfortunately I spent a good portion of that time cycling in and out of hospitals and emergency rooms dealing with a major health issue. I keep hoping for another eruption as some of the owls made it this far south, but no luck so far. We did have a number of SEO's this past winter. Were they up your way as well?

--Ken

The last eruption I can recall was in the winter/spring of 2012. Unfortunately I spent a good portion of that time cycling in and out of hospitals and emergency rooms dealing with a major health issue. I keep hoping for another eruption as some of the owls made it this far south, but no luck so far. We did have a number of SEO's this past winter. Were they up your way as well?

--Ken
There's usually no shortage of shorties. And people who sit in the middle of their hunting grounds and photograph them for hours, day after day after day.

There's usually no shortage of shorties. And people who sit in the middle of their hunting grounds and photograph them for hours, day after day after day.
Nice to hear about the abundance of owls. I could take a pass on the abundance of folks sitting in their hunting grounds.

Thanks,

--Ken