Milkweed Stem Weevil

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Squatch

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Ugly little bugger, but it was fun getting shots of him. Fully grown adults are 5.5-6.5 mm (.21-.25 inches).

Nikon Z7II, Laowa 90mm 2:1 macro.
E412C120-E1AB-4BF7-8A07-BA7A7B45F878.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Excellent shot! What do you think of the 2:1 Laowa?
Thanks!!

I really like the lens. Granted, I’m no macro veteran by any means, but I’m really enjoying shooting with it. I had previously been using the Nikkor AF-S 105mm macro, in conjunction with a 1.4 TC and 50mm worth of stacked extension tubes (all mounted on an FTZ adapter as well), and I still wasn’t getting the shots I wanted. The Laowa is 100% manual (no autofocus and an aperture ring on the lens itself), so I did have a bit of a learning curve. My only complaint is that the aperture ring is just a tad too loose, and it’s easy to accidentally move without noticing you’ve done so. Also, you only get partial EXIF data when using this lens (ISO and shutter speed, I believe), but personally, that’s really not a big deal to me. Other than that, for $500 I think it’s fantastic.

I’ve been shooting the Z system since last July, and oddly enough, my first Z-mount lens is a third party offering and the most inexpensive lens I’ve ever bought, aside from the kit lenses that came with my very first DSLR. Go figure. 😂😂

Nice shot. I have never seen one of those bugs.

I also use the Laowa 90mm 2:1 and it is fantastic. It works really well utilizing the Focus Peaking feature on the Z cameras.

When you are ready to use a focus rail the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens at $400 is exceptional. I have the WeMacro power rail and the

NiSi Macro Focusing Rail NM-180 (manual) which I use on my tripod out in the field or down on my macro bench for stacks of 10 or less. At $129 it is the best deal in rails by far!

Nice shot. I have never seen one of those bugs.

I also use the Laowa 90mm 2:1 and it is fantastic. It works really well utilizing the Focus Peaking feature on the Z cameras.

When you are ready to use a focus rail the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens at $400 is exceptional. I have the WeMacro power rail and the

NiSi Macro Focusing Rail NM-180 (manual) which I use on my tripod out in the field or down on my macro bench for stacks of 10 or less. At $129 it is the best deal in rails by far!

Thanks!

And I agree, focus peaking in the EVF makes all the difference in the world. I dipped my toes in the macro pool a few years ago, with a D810 and AF-S 105mm. I gave up after about 6 weeks or so and hundreds upon hundreds of missed focus shots. Tried again with my Z cameras, and here I am, loving it!

I’ve been looking at the Laowa 25mm. Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely look into that focusing rail if I get one.

Back