If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The other morning in the wee small hours I ventured out to capture the Milky Way setting over the landscape here in Canberra Australia. I decided to merge all the BG images captured and then processed the result separately for the Milky Way BG versus the FG.

The Facts:
Nikon D850 with Nikkor 20mm f1.8
65 x images at ISO6400, f2.8 and 10 seconds
Images processed in Photoshop and Lightroom
Noise reduction and sharpening in Topaz Denoise
Star minimisation in Photoshop
Comments and critique most welcome.
Clear Skies – Tony

Mount Tennant and Milky Way.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Been a while since I have been in Canberra. Where is that shot taken from? My guess would be on the Monaro out near the solar farm.

Reactions: tc1
Yep, I'm with you there. Google doesn't give Smiths Road a street view, but picked it up from the bridge across the Murrumbidgee into the village. Do like the name of that sheep station in Smiths Road. Cuppacumbalong

Love the treatment you gave the image. It's almost a cross between a photo and a painting.

Yep, I'm with you there. Google doesn't give Smiths Road a street view, but picked it up from the bridge across the Murrumbidgee into the village. Do like the name of that sheep station in Smiths Road. Cuppacumbalong

Love the treatment you gave the image. It's almost a cross between a photo and a painting.
Thankyou Cheers

A position I never see the milky way being in the North hemisphere. Excellent post work and differentiating fg and bg.
The MW is continually turning. If you google Photopills, they are the leaders in shooting the MW with an app too. ( Not necessary as photographers, but as how to). Covers the globe. Normally, people like the MW vertical or slanted. Depends on time of year too, I believe. You might see it horizontal up north or it could be that it is daylight when it is horizontal there. Not meant as contradiction!

The MW is continually turning. If you google Photopills, they are the leaders in shooting the MW with an app too. ( Not necessary as photographers, but as how to). Covers the globe. Normally, people like the MW vertical or slanted. Depends on time of year too, I believe. You might see it horizontal up north or it could be that it is daylight when it is horizontal there. Not meant as contradiction!
We don't see the core at that angle in the Northern Hemisphere ever....lol

Last edited by a moderator: