Minnesota Long Weekend

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll be in Minnesota for Labor Day weekend to visit Vince Shute for (of course) black bears.

What should I do with ~2 extra days?

I thought I might try my luck at Sax-Zim one or two mornings/evenings knowing this isn't considered "peak season" for the bog. How about Hawk Ridge?

Appreciate any other input for those familiar with the area!

Edit: interested in looking for any other wildlife subjects while in a new place. Birds, mammals, whatever I can find!

Last edited:
I'll be in Minnesota for Labor Day weekend to visit Vince Shute for (of course) black bears.

What should I do with ~2 extra days?

I thought I might try my luck at Sax-Zim one or two mornings/evenings knowing this isn't considered "peak season" for the bog. How about Hawk Ridge?

Appreciate any other input for those familiar with the area!

Edit: interested in looking for any other wildlife subjects while in a new place. Birds, mammals, whatever I can find!
I don't live there, but I have traveled the area quite a lot. There are a lot of moose along MN 1 between Ely and Tettegouche. I've seen moose lining Island River around Isabella Lake near and after sunset. It's a pretty remote area, but there is a road off MN 1 that will take you to a BWCA entry point (34) close to where I observed them. I caught a fleeting glimpse of a mountain lion hiking the trails near Split Rock Lighthouse. Just about every lake will have a family of Loons. When canoeing through the BWCA, I've caught sight of black bears, otters, beaver, moose, loons osprey, eagles, but yet to see wolves. You can hear them at night though. The wildlife is everywhere.

I stopped at Hawk Ridge one time during the heavier part of the Fall migration. The hawks stayed (very) high and I was disappointed. Duluth had a lot of rain last month, and I heard a number of roads were chewed up. I'm traveling along the North Shore in mid-August and hope some of the damage repaired enough that travel will not be difficult. We are staying at the Lighthouse in Two Harbors for an evening before heading up to the border. I have a side trip planned to Vince Shute with friends, who doubt my account of bears everywhere.

Dave

Back