Mirrorless Cameras - Slow shutter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I develop and teach Clandestine /Surveillance Photography Courses for law enforcement agents and private investigators. On its face, I love the mirrorless camera technology. However, in our comparisons with both mid and higher quality DSLR cameras, we found almost zero lag in the shutter when photographing a moving target or panning at a lower shutter speed to capture detail. This becomes critical when capturing "decisive moments" or in conditions where a quick capture is needed to provide useable detail or limited recognition.

I develop and teach Clandestine /Surveillance Photography Courses for law enforcement agents and private investigators. On its face, I love the mirrorless camera technology. However, in our comparisons with both mid and higher quality DSLR cameras, we found almost zero lag in the shutter when photographing a moving target or panning at a lower shutter speed to capture detail. This becomes critical when capturing "decisive moments" or in conditions where a quick capture is needed to provide useable detail or limited recognition.

I think the higher end cameras have overcome this limitation. Nikon Z9, Sony A1, Canon R3, and for the most part R5, R6.

I think the higher end cameras have overcome this limitation. Nikon Z9, Sony A1, Canon R3, and for the most part R5, R6.
right. i'm assuming OP is talking about latency and any stacked sensor camera should _largely_ overcome this. it might be worth noting that nikon has touted both low latency and smooth/consistent evf output. they also added a feature in fw lately to simulate blackout to assist in slow shutter pans.

And don’t forget the « no blackout » effect of the high end mirorless camera which allows you to keep an eye on the scene as long as you press the shutter button ;)

And don’t forget the « no blackout » effect of the high end mirorless camera which allows you to keep an eye on the scene as long as you press the shutter button ;)
interestingly, it sounds like that works against some people which, afaik, is why nikon added the setting to allow you to simulate it 😅

Back