Modifying a Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 for Arca-Swiss?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just got an old MH055M8-Q5 head for $20, and I hope to use it with my long lens instead of the ball heads. The head is in great condition, aside from the missing screws on the dovetail plate and the panning bar is currently stuck. This is my first time using a Manfrotto tripod product, so I am very inexperienced with making them Arca-compatible. What would be a more elegant/cost-effective solution here? Ordering a new set of screws + an Arca dovetail, or just ordering a separate Arca-compatible Manfrotto plate (such as the ProMediaGear version)?
And if you have suggestions on how to unjam the panning bar lock, I'm also all ears.

338881671_598633905540577_1407876857682852475_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Get a camera screw like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW81ZWY/?tag=backcogaller-20

And an Arca Swiss clamp like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015V132J8/?tag=backcogaller-20

The Kirk adapter mentioned above won't fit on your head, and the Promedia Gear product couldn't be used with a lens plate.
Yep, I thought of a similar arrangement but you’ll need a countersunk screw, not a button head.
The Promedia will work with plate on ca meta but not with lens plate as you say. I guess the original post wasn’t really specific about how he intended to use it.

I just got an old MH055M8-Q5 head for $20, and I hope to use it with my long lens instead of the ball heads. The head is in great condition, aside from the missing screws on the dovetail plate and the panning bar is currently stuck. This is my first time using a Manfrotto tripod product, so I am very inexperienced with making them Arca-compatible. What would be a more elegant/cost-effective solution here? Ordering a new set of screws + an Arca dovetail, or just ordering a separate Arca-compatible Manfrotto plate (such as the ProMediaGear version)?
And if you have suggestions on how to unjam the panning bar lock, I'm also all ears.

View attachment 59149

Depends on the condition, it may or may not be worth it to add Arca-swiss conversion.

IMGIC, this Manfrotto is an RC5 quick connect, the plate is a Q5 style, as others have suggested, the easiest way is getting a screw to bolt an Arca Swiss Plate.

Oliver

Yep, I thought of a similar arrangement but you’ll need a countersunk screw, not a button head.
The Promedia will work with plate on ca meta but not with lens plate as you say. I guess the original post wasn’t really specific about how he intended to use it.
This is what I've done:

IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

Not a Manfrotto plate but you get the idea.

Both Kirk and Hejnar photo make a complete replacement for the top of the video head. The new top takes Arca style rather than Manfrotto style plates. Downside is both are expensive. I looked into one of these for my fluid head, but with both the Kirk and Hejnar tops you lose the 3/8 16 threaded hole. I use this to mount a side arm to take my audio recorder so I opted to add a Arca clamp to the Manfrotto plate. This way the Manfrotto plate just says attached to the fluid head.

Kirk is definitely not something realistic within budget. NICEYRIG is way too short. Thanks @aolander for pointing out that the PMG plate is not compatible with a lens plate - this is a wildlife-oriented forum, so my use is wildlife-oriented.

I have narrowed down to a replacement plate/adapter and will test out the screw-on arca clamp at the local store later this week. Thank you everyone for chiming in.!

Back