Mom! Wait for me!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

dupcak

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Amazingly not a bird photo :) . Young cheetah chasing after mom in the Serengeti. Had to hang over the side of our vehicle and extend my arms as far as I could go to get reasonably low for this one (definitely wasn't going to get out of the vehicle and lie on the ground with the number of big cats in the area!)

1) Do you find the grass on the right distracting?
2) Should I have shifted a bit higher to give a bit more headroom?
3) Keep the flies or clone them out?

Thanks for any constructive feedback,
- Rob

_RD49288-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Amazingly not a bird photo :) . Young cheetah chasing after mom in the Serengeti. Had to hang over the side of our vehicle and extend my arms as far as I could go to get reasonably low for this one (definitely wasn't going to get out of the vehicle and lie on the ground with the number of big cats in the area!)

1) Do you find the grass on the right distracting?
2) Should I have shifted a bit higher to give a bit more headroom?
3) Keep the flies or clone them out?

Thanks for any constructive feedback,
- Rob

View attachment 61348
Amazing!
I personally don't find the grass to be distracting as they dont seem to run over the subject (i.e in front of its face). Ofcourse we can't lie down to get a better fg/bg 😂 . Although I have never visited Africa in a similar situation I would only hope to shoot when the subject is a bit more distant like filling in a 600mm frame so it appears to be more eye-level.
Shifting a bit higher may also work but i do love the OOF rendering of foreground.
But again, amazing one✨✨

Amazing!
I personally don't find the grass to be distracting as they dont seem to run over the subject (i.e in front of its face). Ofcourse we can't lie down to get a better fg/bg 😂 . Although I have never visited Africa in a similar situation I would only hope to shoot when the subject is a bit more distant like filling in a 600mm frame so it appears to be more eye-level.
Shifting a bit higher may also work but i do love the OOF rendering of foreground.
But again, amazing one✨✨
Thanks - this one I probably could have switched on the 1.4X TC and gotten a 560mm FOV, but I was having a hard enough time leaning over the edge of the vehicle and keeping the little guy in the frame :)

I'll work with a slightly different crop - maybe shifting up a bit or a little looser to give some more head room. I tried shifting up with this current crop but ended up with just a thin strip of OOF foreground which seemed annoying. I'll play with it some more.

Nice shot.
No the grass is not distracting.
Yes more headroom would be preferable.
I'd clone out the flies.
Thanks for the feedback! As mentioned above I might crop a bit looser since I do have a bit of extra room to get a bit more headroom. I'll see how that goes.

I was hesitant to remove the flies just because their are swarms of them on just about every big cat we saw so it was somewhat part of the story. However with this little guy/gal he only had a few hanging around him/her so no big loss. Oddly enough I never saw so many flies on the cats in southern Africa (Zimbabwe, Zambia or Botswana) in our previous trips, but maybe that was more about the time of the year versus the location.

...I was hesitant to remove the flies just because their are swarms of them on just about every big cat we saw so it was somewhat part of the story...
I deal with the same dilemma with bear photos. To me it comes down to whether they add to/are part of the story or are a distraction. IMO in this particular image they are a distraction. Particularly because there are a couple of them that are distinct enough and far enough away from the animal to draw the eye away.

I deal with the same dilemma with bear photos. To me it comes down to whether they add to/are part of the story or are a distraction. IMO in this particular image they are a distraction. Particularly because there are a couple of them that are distinct enough and far enough away from the animal to draw the eye away.
That's a good way to look at it - thanks! Makes perfect sense to me.

If you hadn't mentioned the grass, I would not have noticed it. No distraction, wonderful shot. Your adventurous nerve to get the shot is also fantastic.
Thanks for the feedback! The grass isn't too noticeable, but one of the OOF reeds does barely touch the OOF tip of the tail - it doesn't bother me, but I'm a bit biased. The only concern I had about leaning out of the vehicle was dropping the camera, other than that no concerns. Definitely not a shot I could have gotten prior to mirrorless.

Back