Money....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
I can afford one body, handful of lens. New cameras and new lens are coming out every month with lots of improvements. I am finding it hard to improve my gear. I know I can buy used but new gear is not in the used area. Photography is my hobby. I don’t ever see myself being able to buy a 600mm F4 lens ($12,296.95). My question is, do you folks make money on your photography? Or is it just a hobby?

For me photography is just a hobby although I have sold some photos for publication. I will suggest that you seriously consider micro four thirds cameras and lenses; the equipment is relatively inexpensive and lightweight, but really high quality. Photography snobs will tell you that anything other than full frame cameras are toys, but many couldn't tell the difference between a photograph taken with a full frame camera from one taken with a superzoom if they didn't see the metadata.

My question is, do you folks make money on your photography? Or is it just a hobby?
I've done both. I ran an active photo business for more than a decade with an emphasis on: nature, wildlife and outdoor sports and photo education/workshops but took a lot of work that I wasn't passionate about to pay the bills like weddings, event photography, portrait sessions, you name it. That paid for a lot of gear over those years.

But these days I have a day job and though I still license some stock images I don't actively run a business nor chase every paying photo opportunity. So right now it's definitely a hobby for me. Luckily a lot of my big investments were made when I could pay for the gear with my work and over time I've traded up to more modern gear by selling older gear to finance something newer that interests me.

FWIW, in recent years nearly all of my lens purchases have been on the used market and even for camera bodies I'll generally shoot a generation behind the latest and greatest as a good balance between purchase price and features. Exceptions include my D500 and 500mm PF which I purchased new but my D850 and D5 were both purchased on the used market with low shutter counts but after they'd been out for a while which cut the prices dramatically. Sure I'd love the 600mm f/4 E series lens but am very happy with the G version at less than half the cost of the new one.

Hello,
I can afford one body, handful of lens. New cameras and new lens are coming out every month with lots of improvements. I am finding it hard to improve my gear. I know I can buy used but new gear is not in the used area. Photography is my hobby. I don’t ever see myself being able to buy a 600mm F4 lens ($12,296.95). My question is, do you folks make money on your photography? Or is it just a hobby?
I used to do it for a living back in the 90’s but decided to go a different direction in life. Now I do national account sales for a company you all have heard of. So now my photography is funded by my day job and I enjoy photography a lot more than when I was being paid for it.

Hello,
It’s a hobby for me as well, as for the not being able to afford a 600... there are a lot of great used lenses out there for much less... don’t eliminate great gear because it’s used.
After all it’s all about what your priority’s are...Right? for me I love photography and it’s an opportunity to get outside in nature and get away from the stress from my day job.... well worth it imho.

Definitely a hobby. But I have sold an image! I am the photographer for our local dog club, and I used to sell images from the club and return the money to the club. I ended up just allowing free downloads from my website. One day a lady bought one of my images to use on decorated mugs she was making. I charged $10. The only time I have sold an image to someone I didn’t know.

Definitely a hobby. I've sold quite a few images, but no way have they paid for my equipment. I too am a firm believer in used equipment. Have usually bought off eBay and
have never had a problem with any of it, some quite high $$$s. When you're selling images, it seems they always wanted them yesterday, even tho they must have known
they were going to do the article for which the image was needed. Stressful and a nuisance. That said, I never give images away unless it's to a nonprofit. Do not want to cut into pro's income. They work hard.

I am retired person from professional work.Birding has become a passion for me since last two years due to which i improved my shooting skills to shoot better.I also did an Ornitholgy course from BNHS India which made me realize the value of conservation of habitats & the need to spread the message about wild life & conservation requirements.I get lot of personal satisfaction when many people get interested in birds after seeing my photos.I also distrubute picture post cards for chidren for free so that they will appreciate the beuaty of birds & care for their environment.I am fortunate that my wife is also a birder and a shooter & we can afford professional camera gear & travel a lot to birding sites with out getting into any photo related business

Don't discount used equipment out of hand. I've scored some great lens through the used market. The vendors I use are (in no particular order): MPB, KEH, B&H and Adorama. Their used equipment rating system is an honest appraisal of condition and functionality and if you don't like it you can return it. I stay away from eBay and Craig's list. BTW, the vendors that I listed will also buy used gear. For that I've found that MPB to be the best option.

Purely a hobby for me.

I have a dayjob (Cyber Security) that can get fairly hectic/stressful at times. Nature photography (wildlife, landscape and macro is what I do) is a good way for me to get away from everything and relax. So far, it has only cost me money. But seeing the experiences I get in return, worth every penny for me.

The budget/money side of things is of course an important consideration. You don't necessarily need to spend 5 digit numbers in order to get good results. Often, there's much more reasonable priced gear that will get the job done just fine (with certain compromises obviously, the premium lenses cost that much for a reason). Also, the second hand market can yield great finds at times. I personally was able to pick up a Nikon 14-24 f2.8 (a top notch widefield lens) in great condition for a fraction of it's normal/new price just by keeping an eye on the used section of a local online retailer here.

Purely a hobby. For me the key to keeping a lid on the costs is actually two things: think hard about which lens you like the best and where the quality matters the most. For me that's the wide angle for landscapes, and a 300mm+ lens for wildlife (I can live without the extreme close-up portraits so no 600, and no exotic at all, the Nikon 200-500 is fine). The second option is to rent the really expensive glass for special occasions. For the once-in-a-lifetime trip I'd rent the exotic lens (get it 3-4 days in advance to practice!). But gear acquisition syndrome is never far away...I'm looking at that 70-200/2.8 S with the teleconverters that's supposed to be in shops on Saturday.... :)

Oh - and selling gear isn't a bad option, either, although values are not great unless you're prepared to trust eBay.

A hobby. Fortunately, I have a job that enables me to pursue it somewhat seriously, and to also be able to put food on the table and a roof over our craniums.

One thing about photography is that you can always convince yourself that there's another piece of gear that you need to have.

B&H Photo has good prices on new, refurbished and used cameras. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com) The lens quality is more important than the camera. Nikon's top 28-300 zoom lens is a good start. You may find a D810 or D850 used for sale otherwise go for the D500-700 series. Canon also has top quality but I am not familiar with its cameras and lenses.
I haven't sold any photos but have donated many to nonprofit organizations, such as The Nature Conservancy; and once took photos as part of my job.

My first job out of college with a major greeting card company (seems like 200 years ago) required me to spend about 25% of my time shooting photos in all kinds of outdoor locations, all available light, mostly at sunset, trying to capture couples together (I was allowed to pay $10 to anyone willing to model) for romantic images to be used on cards. I was a novice, but since we were doing a lot of experimental stuff and constantly trying new techniques, both in-camera and in the darkroom, failures were expected and acceptable. Spent a lot of time running up and down beaches with two 35mm cameras and one heavy 6x6 bouncing off my chest trying to capture the setting sun. So yeah, I got paid for that as part of my job.

For the last 30 years, I've run my own one-man advertising agency, which required me to be a jack of all trades. I did quite a bit of tabletop product photography for clients, a bit of location stuff, nothing too terribly complex (like Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limitations), but I was able to bill for my time and it provided a good supplement to the other advertising services I offered. Also allowed me to write off any camera equipment I bought, which saved thousands of $ over the years. I've also sold a few images for publication, nothing too dramatic.

But, I started with photography as a hobby, and it continues as such to this day. My commercial work helped pay some of the bills, and allowed me to acquire some decent equipment and learn while I worked. It subsidized my love of photography as an art form, and I was lucky to be able to do that.

I think most members of this forum will agree that making money in photography is a daunting challenge, unless you have the desire, the talent, the commitment, and the ability to make the investment required to become a true working professional. Allow me to offer one bit of advice: if you find yourself in the position to actually sell some work, or take on a commission of some sort, do not sell yourself short. Charge a fair but decent price. Do not give away your work or your talents. Most of us in "creative" fields are guilty of grossly undercharging, simply because we are so thrilled that someone would actually pay for us to do something we love. Kind of like getting paid to eat. I have been guilty of that my entire career, and would be a much wealthier man today if I had had the wisdom and the courage to charge what a job was really worth. Took me a lot of years to get to that point, and I still struggle with it. Artistic talent is a rare and precious commodity, something few of us are blessed with, and it should be valued and paid for accordingly.

I will second the recommendations of the members suggesting buying high quality used equipment. I have bought and sold several items through KEH, and been thoroughly pleased. Their grading system is, if anything, on the conservative side. You will not get top equipment at half price, but you can save several hundred dollars over retail. Last fall I purchased a Nikkor 20mm f1.4 specifically for a trip to Iceland to photograph the Northern Lights. Their "like new" lens appeared to me, upon receiving it, to be absolutely new. Saved me well over $100. It performed superbly. It is far better to buy the highest quality slightly used equipment you can afford--if it is in top conditiion--than to buy a brand new item of lesser quality.

I've also had good luck with B&H. Can't comment on the other firms.

Last but not least, do not fall into the trap of thinking everything that is "new and improved" is in fact new or improved. I can verify from all my years in the advertising business that manufacturers in almost every industry are under immense competitive pressures to introduce something "new" every year. I had to help my clients perform this dance every buying season as the trade shows and conventions approached. It is simply not possible, and it is quite rare, that truly groundbreaking improvements can be offered up every single calendar year--especially in relatively mature industries. Don't fall for the marketing and advertising gimmicks and think you always have to have the latest and greatest. Believe me, I know, because my job was to devise those gimmicks, and I was very good at it. Thinking you need the absolute newest of everything will not improve your ability to see, allow you to master your equipment, or to conceive a great photograph. It will merely keep you in debt and trying to figure out how the heck this new gadget works.

Good luck!

Last but not least, do not fall into the trap of thinking everything that is "new and improved" is in fact new or improved....
Great post and good reminders on the value of photo work, the point on used equipment and especially the point about marketing and how there's an entire industry set up to make us believe our current gear isn't adequate.

Back