Mono-pods with big primes:

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Was wondering what you guys have to say about using mono-pods with big primes? To frame the subject a little; My brothers and I hike mountain trails in North-Eastern Pennsylvania several times a week spotting birds. Needless to say we get into some treacherous geographical spots often enough. My personal style for shooting birds has been mono-pod with a 600mm f4g. It's a beast of a lens as you guys know, but it looks like I'll be upgrading to the FL version this coming week. Definitely looking forward to the 3 pound difference. I can't bring myself to using a tripod in this situation. I also use the Gimbal side-mount recommend by Steve and that was a great piece of advise. Loving it so far. Anyway, I've been working a lot more on my birds in flight shots and was wondering if anyone in similar terrain situations uses big primes with the mono-pods?

Last edited:
That’s primarily how I shoot. I’m usually just hiking trails and shooting what I see. I’m usually using the 800f5.6 or 600f4E. I use a gitzo mono and the wimberley mono gimbal (which sounds like what you’re using too).

FWIW, I grew up in NE PA and hiked most of the sections of the Appalachian Trail as well as a number of other hikes/trails. But alas, I ended up moving to Silicon Valley as I’m a programmer, and that’s where the programmers seem to migrate. :)

Due to the high shutter speeds used for BIF there's no real technical advantage for tripod vs monopod. Tripod is convenient for the freedom of being able to take your hands off of the camera. Monopod is clearly an advantage in the situations like you describe. It boils down to what is most comfortable/convenient.

That’s primarily how I shoot. I’m usually just hiking trails and shooting what I see. I’m usually using the 800f5.6 or 600f4E. I use a gitzo mono and the wimberley mono gimbal (which sounds like what you’re using too).

FWIW, I grew up in NE PA and hiked most of the sections of the Appalachian Trail as well as a number of other hikes/trails. But alas, I ended up moving to Silicon Valley as I’m a programmer, and that’s where the programmers seem to migrate. :)
As you know, it's beautiful out here in the Appalachian. The only thing I don't like is all the black bear.. Funny I just transplanted here from San Diego. There's a beautiful area due south of you called Idelwild. Shot some beautiful birds there.. That 800mm sounds like a monster. Are you happy with the photos you get from that lens?

Due to the high shutter speeds used for BIF there's no real technical advantage for tripod vs monopod. Tripod is convenient for the freedom of being able to take your hands off of the camera. Monopod is clearly an advantage in the situations like you describe. It boils down to what is most comfortable/convenient.
You're so right about the shudder speed.. It is nice being able to take your hands off the camera.. There is an inexpensive monopod I ended up using called Three Legged Thing Trent. (without the three feet version).. Think I paid 70 bucks for it. I have the super expensive carbon fiber monos but this thing takes the cake. Weight capacity 66lbs, ultra light weight magnesium alloy. The little rubber foot likes to spin off, but ended up just gluing it, no problems since. The reason I ended up using the Trent mono over the more expensive carbon fibers is that it's more stable, ultra stiff, no flex. Add the Wimberley MH-100 side mount with the RPS quick-release makes for a great setup..

As you know, it's beautiful out here in the Appalachian. The only thing I don't like is all the black bear.. Funny I just transplanted here from San Diego. There's a beautiful area due south of you called Idelwild. Shot some beautiful birds there.. That 800mm sounds like a monster. Are you happy with the photos you get from that lens?
Yes, I love the 800. And it comes with a factory-matched (s/n-matched) 1.25x TC which brings it out to [email protected] and no real noticeable loss of IQ.

I’ve also used that lens to do some pretty decent astro shots of some deep space targets (nebula and such). My friend sent some of them to her friend at NASA and he said some were better photos than they had hanging in their office. :-O I suspect that was a bit of generosity/hyperbole but I still appreciated the comment.

Back