Monopod & Tilt Head

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm looking for advise on purchasing a monopod and tilt head.

My current largest setup is Nikon Z7 with 100-400mm lens. I'll eventually move up to a Z8 and possibly purchase either a 600mm or 800mm several years from now. My current tripod is RRS TVC24 w/BH40.

My current monopod criteria is: 25 lb load, minimum 32mm diameter upper leg segment, less than 19" closed length (preferably 17"), and less than 1.5 lb overall weight (w/o head). To hit that criteria I'm looking at 6 leg segment monopod. Is this going to be an issue e.g., flex? I've only found Oben and Leofoto that meet the criteria.

For tilt head, I'm looking for one with a rotating QR plate so I can use the monopod with both a lens foot and a camera L plate. The only one I've found so far is RRS MH-02. I love RRS products, however, am looking for something less than $425. I've look at and am not interested in the side mounted Wimberly MH100. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for advise on purchasing a monopod and tilt head.

My current largest setup is Nikon Z7 with 100-400mm lens. I'll eventually move up to a Z8 and possibly purchase either a 600mm or 800mm several years from now. My current tripod is RRS TVC24 w/BH40.

My current monopod criteria is: 25 lb load, minimum 32mm diameter upper leg segment, less than 19" closed length (preferably 17"), and less than 1.5 lb overall weight (w/o head). To hit that criteria I'm looking at 6 leg segment monopod. Is this going to be an issue e.g., flex? I've only found Oben and Leofoto that meet the criteria.

For tilt head, I'm looking for one with a rotating QR plate so I can use the monopod with both a lens foot and a camera L plate. The only one I've found so far is RRS MH-02. I love RRS products, however, am looking for something less than $425. I've look at and am not interested in the side mounted Wimberly MH100. Any suggestions?
Have you checked around for a used MH-02. I bought mine used many years ago and am very happy with it.

The lower leg section will be pretty small in diameter on a 6 section.
Yes, that's what I'm concerned about. How small is really too small... will it flex like a tripod would flex.

Here's what I've found so far:
Leofoto, 365C (5 segment) - 36, 32, 28, 25, 22 - 1.3 lb, 19.5" closed length
Leofoto, 326C (6 segment) - 32, 28, 25, 22, 19, 16 - 1.3 lb, 16.3" closed length
Leofoto, 366C (6 segment) - 36, 32, 28, 25, 22, 19 - 1.1 lb, 17.3" closed length
Oben CTM 2500 (5 segment) - 31, 28, 25, 22, 19 - 1.01 lb, 17.3" closed length

It's interesting that more brands don't offer the "easy" rotating dial like the MH-02. Either they don't rotate at all or you need to use a hex tool to unscrew it and reposition the plate. In your experience, is the MH-02 really easy to rotate?
Yes it is. I don't use a monopod very often, but the RRS MH-02 is the best head I've found. I thought about replacing it with something else (don't remember what) and decided for my limited use, my current set up was just fine.

Yes, that's what I'm concerned about. How small is really too small... will it flex like a tripod would flex.

Here's what I've found so far:
Leofoto, 365C (5 segment) - 36, 32, 28, 25, 22 - 1.3 lb, 19.5" closed length
Leofoto, 326C (6 segment) - 32, 28, 25, 22, 19, 16 - 1.3 lb, 16.3" closed length
Leofoto, 366C (6 segment) - 36, 32, 28, 25, 22, 19 - 1.1 lb, 17.3" closed length
Oben CTM 2500 (5 segment) - 31, 28, 25, 22, 19 - 1.01 lb, 17.3" closed length
Personally…I don’t worry myself overmuch about the lower leg perhaps being thinner and flexing a little. Monopod is by definition less stable than a tripod and for most of us I think the main reason we use one is to help support the weight of t(e long lens during the long intervals of waiting for the action…and I find a monopod more forgiving than handholding if longer shutter speeds are used…so even if it does flex a little does it actually matter? So…I would consider that the least important of the criteria you’ve mentioned…and the second one I would minimize is the rotating plate since I only use a monopod with a long lens and they’ve always got a foot for the clamp. Short lenses where the body would go on the monopod I’m either hand holding or using a tripod for waterfall speeds…or maybe a tree to brace against in a real pinch and with a wide lens.

There’s nothing wrong with the criteria as listed…but those two points seem unnecessary to me but if you need them then you need them.

Last edited:
Back