More Père David's Deer

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I posted some photos of these same deer back in April, so I will reiterate some of the details from that post....

Père David's Deer are a very interesting and unique species. Originating from China, they are actually classified as extinct in the wild, but have been introduced onto private land in various parts of the world including the United States, England, Argentina, and South Africa. They are flourishing on private ranches here in Texas, and a friend of mine has a small breeding population on his property. They can frequently be found wallowing in mud holes or on the edge of ponds, so they are always a dirty mess!

These were taken last weekend with my Nikon Z8 + Nikon 180-600mm (*with the exception of bugling bull in the last image, which was taken with my Nikon 500mm f/4 G)

jct2cAM.jpeg

L6gMGsd.jpeg

r3mkxYm.jpeg

jHDG0Zu.jpeg

vmcWQiE.jpeg

kwLOTwY.jpeg

There are milu in a park near Yancheng city. They sell milu steaks. Weird looking animal, cross between a horse, a camel and a deer.
Golden Takin are even stranger. I would have liked to head up to Tibet and see some maybe. Did see a stuffed one at a school I visited in China.
Thanks for the post, brought back a lot of memories.

Back