Motorsport Photography Forums?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are a couple of threads on the Sports and Action forum on DPReview. Here’s the latest one which I just happened to be visiting minutes ago :)

Should be someone on there who could answer your question.

Thanks guys, I don't have a specific question, I'm wondering how other motorsport photographers are enjoying (or not!) the transition from DSLR to mirrorless

Thanks guys, I don't have a specific question, I'm wondering how other motorsport photographers are enjoying (or not!) the transition from DSLR to mirrorless
I meant that there (at my link) you might someone who can answer your question about where to find the forum(s) you are looking for. ;)

I find that many of Steve's focusing tips and manuals work well with motorsports.
ASR_4897.jpg

Hi Andre, Lovely shot...I've been shooting motorsport since film days. migrated to Nikon D100, 200, 300, 600 (worst camera ever), D750, finally a pair of D500s. I tried a Nikon Z6 which in my humble opinion was not up to the job, I bought a demo Z9 and just added a Z8 as my second body.
_DSC0253ps.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• LR-1423.jpg
    LR-1423.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 33
Nikonians has a motorsports forum and experienced pros involved.

Brian Wong (BLW) is an IT professional but has shot road racing professionally for more than 25 years. He's technical but very good. Victor Newman (vfnewman) is probably the most experienced of the group. He has been shooting NASCAR, road racing, and a little Indy car for 25+ years. He's got a number of magazine covers and is the track photographer for several tracks. He shoots multiple Z9 cameras and takes nearly a million racing photos per year.

Are there any specific motorsport forums in general and Nikon Z cameras specifically?
IDK about racing photography forums specific to Nikon shooters, but you might reach out to Jamey Price at https://www.jameypricephoto.com/ He shoots Nikon and last I knew he was sticking with DSLRs...though maybe that has changed. From the Canon side, F1 photographer Kym Illman has made several gear-related videos, including his experience switching from Canon's flagship bodies to mirrorless. Also from the Canon side is Larry Chen. He made a video for Canon USA about his gear choices when starting to integrate mirrorless.

I am a photojournalist covering drag racing, back in 2021 i made the switch from my D5's and D6's to Z9's, at first I hated it, so used to feeling the shutter as it fires, but over time I feel in love with it, the autofocus system is 10X's better but lacks a little in ISO, the D5 was much better with higher ISO setting for night work, but overall i have made the full switch and replaced every lens now but one and I am fully mirrorless, the biggest advantage for me is the weight, standing on a wall for 4-5 hours shooting cars and holding a D5 with a 400mm 2.8 was rough, the mirrorless system is much lighter and it does take its toll, its not nearly as bad

Attachments

• IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 40
I am a photojournalist covering drag racing, back in 2021 i made the switch from my D5's and D6's to Z9's, at first I hated it, so used to feeling the shutter as it fires, but over time I feel in love with it, the autofocus system is 10X's better but lacks a little in ISO, the D5 was much better with higher ISO setting for night work, but overall i have made the full switch and replaced every lens now but one and I am fully mirrorless, the biggest advantage for me is the weight, standing on a wall for 4-5 hours shooting cars and holding a D5 with a 400mm 2.8 was rough, the mirrorless system is much lighter and it does take its toll, its not nearly as bad
Hey there, thanks for sharing your experience. I miss the 'clunk' of a shutter but I am also fully mirrorless having just traded my last D500 and all my F-mount lenses on a Z8 as a second body.
I find the Z9 and 180-600 a really heavy combination - much heavier than a D500 and 200-500...

I switched from D800 to a Z7 a few years ago. I usually spend a few days every May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, photographing Indy cars. My keeper rate with the mirrorless is about the same as with DSLR, which is much worse than birds in flight. I don’t know of any birds capable of flying 230mph😉😁. You certainly get to practice your panning skills.

I switched from D800 to a Z7 a few years ago. I usually spend a few days every May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, photographing Indy cars. My keeper rate with the mirrorless is about the same as with DSLR, which is much worse than birds in flight. I don’t know of any birds capable of flying 230mph😉😁. You certainly get to practice your panning skills.
That’s why I like the hairpin at Long Beach - The cars are moving much slower! 2024 will be my first year with a mirrorless (Z8). I am still adjusting to the camera and my keeper rate is down. Gotta take time to carefully read Steve's books.

I love all the different series represented in the photos here so far!

Are there any specific motorsport forums in general and Nikon Z cameras specifically?
I just learned today that motorsports are outside of the scope of this forum. Did not know that and I was very early on member.
(likely you know) Facebook has many of all mentioned. I suggest joining Facebook private groups as they are not cluttered with nonsense.

There are birds that approach that speed! Peregrine falcons reach 200 mph in their stoop dives after prey, which is killed from the impact.

This is from Cornells All About Birds website:

"During its spectacular hunting stoop from heights of over 1 km (0.62 mi), the peregrine may reach speeds of 320 km/h (200 mph) as it drops toward its prey."

Experienced motorsports photographers could perhaps do wonders following these birds with their panning skills! Another great subject might be lovesick hummingbirds in their mating dives. Or swifts, swallows and nighthawks erratically chasing their insects in difficult light.

Different subjects, similar skillsets required! Love to see some photos....!

Back