Mountain Boomer!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RGS

This brilliantly colored fellow (yes it is the male) is the official Oklahoma State Reptile., but its very plain official name is the "Eastern Collared Lizard". But such a beautiful critter needs a more fitting name so, here in Oklahoma, we call it a "Mountain Boomer". Much more appropriate, doncha think?
This one was in the rocks overlooking Quannah Parker Lake in the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge of SW Oklahoma. He was very kind to wait patiently while a grandson and I made several photographs of him.

By the way, if you live nearby and have not been to the Wichita Mountains, you are missing out. It's our little secret in Oklahoma.

2206 -  147-D.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
By

2206 -  150-D.jpg
the w

2206 -  171-D.jpg
ay, if

2206 -  191-D.jpg
you

2206 -  204-D.jpg

Last edited:
This brilliantly colored fellow (yes it is the male) is the official Oklahoma State Reptile., but its very plain official name is the "Eastern Collared Lizard". But such a beautiful critter needs a more fitting name so, here in Oklahoma, we call it a "Mountain Boomer". Much more appropriate, doncha think?
This one was in the rocks overlooking Quannah Parker Lake in the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge of SW Oklahoma. He was very kind to wait patiently while a grandson and I made several photographs of him.

By the way, if you live nearby and have not been to the Wichita Mountains, you are missing out. It's our little secret in Oklahoma.

View attachment 41980By

View attachment 41981 the w

View attachment 41982ay, if

View attachment 41983you

View attachment 41984
Lizard shots well done and very cool lizard, didn't know existed.

Reactions: RGS
SUPER and colorful.. photos are spot on! maybe they are here in Kansas too?
I've ridden to the Mt Scott a few times on a Harley, awesome scenic there

I spent time in Wichita Mtns when I was stationed at Ft. Sill for 18 months (50 yrs ago!). Didn’t ever see that lizard while there, but wasn’t really looking for it. IIRC, road up Mt. Scott was unpaved then.

I spent time in Wichita Mtns when I was stationed at Ft. Sill for 18 months (50 yrs ago!). Didn’t ever see that lizard while there, but wasn’t really looking for it. IIRC, road up Mt. Scott was unpaved then.

They hang out in specific places. The area around Quannah Parker Lake - where this one was - is pretty good. The trail to the 40-foot hole is the most reliable place to find them. I spent time there as a kid but don't remember the roads - just the campgrounds and the lakes. I started photographing there (with a baby Crown Graphic!) in the late 70s. The Mt. Scott road was paved then. Here's a view from Mt. Scott in 1983 that was made with a Pentax MX and a brand new 200mm Pentax lens on Kodachrome 25.
157.jpg

They hang out in specific places. The area around Quannah Parker Lake - where this one was - is pretty good. The trail to the 40-foot hole is the most reliable place to find them. I spent time there as a kid but don't remember the roads - just the campgrounds and the lakes. I started photographing there (with a baby Crown Graphic!) in the late 70s. The Mt. Scott road was paved then. Here's a view from Mt. Scott in 1983 that was made with a Pentax MX and a brand new 200mm Pentax lens on Kodachrome 25.
Wonderful work of art! I was there in '70-'71. The top was usually crowded with shortwave radio folks.

Back