Moving processed images from my laptop to my desktop in LRC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bruner

Supporting Member
I just returned from from a Yellowstone Nation Park trip. I processed my "keepers" on my laptop and would like to transfer them to my desktop.
I have a Macbook Pro laptop and an imac desktop. Any tips would be helpful. Steve, do you have a video on this??

You could move those particular files to a completely new catalog on your laptop, then copy the photos AND the multiple files corresponding to the new catalog into the appropriate locations on the desktop. Then open up the new catalog on the desktop and it should work. I've done this before when my eldest child helped me edit some photos on their computer.

1) Copy all of your image files onto an external HD in the same file structure they were in on the laptop. If they were in the same folder as you LR catalog that's fine just copy they whole folder.
2) If in a different folder then copy the folder that the LR catalog is in to the external drive.
3) Connect the external drive to your desktop.
4) Copy the folder with the LR catalog to your desktop hard drive.
5) Open the catalog on the desktop. It should show ? by the folders in the library and ask if you want to find the files. Say yes and point to the external HD.
6) Close the catalog and open the catalog on your desktop that you want to import into
7) In the library module under the file tab select "import from another catalog"
8) Select the laptop catalog that you copied to the desktop and tell LR where you want the files to be copied to

Easiest way…select the images to be moved…export to a new catalog and you’ll get a catalog and folder of images. Move that to the desktop, import into LR and then move within LR on the desktop to where ypu really want them. I generally do this via a USB SSD and import the catalog at its current location on the SSD before moving them in LR on the desktop…or just Watch Steve’s video above.

Easiest way…select the images to be moved…export to a new catalog and you’ll get a catalog and folder of images. Move that to the desktop, import into LR and then move within LR on the desktop to where ypu really want them. I generally do this via a USB SSD and import the catalog at its current location on the SSD before moving them in LR on the desktop…or just Watch Steve’s video above.
And here are some additional resources to help further explain how to merge catalogs (if that is what the Op was hoping to accomplish as opposed to just moving the catalog):
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-classic/catalogs/merging/ .

--Ken

Back