Mt Whitney/Eastern Sierra

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Stephen Berger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
in the late afternoon...

_DSC4845-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

in the late afternoon...

View attachment 35816
Nice pic. The low clouds on the crevices are nice. Love this area. Did you get a chance to go up to Mammoth. There are some nice vistas on way to Devils Postpile of the Minarets, great sunrise shots as valley dark in front as light hits minarets. Alabama mountains are nice too on way to Mt Whitney. Love eastern Sierras. Used to work in Bishop once a month ages ago. pretty country. Fishing good too

Last edited:
Very nice pic! An occasion for me to discover the highest mountain in the USA, excepted Alaska; I remember being in the lowest place in the USA (bad water in Death Valley) and learning that from that point, we where able to see Mount Whitney; unfortunately, it was not the case for me.

Nice pic. The low clouds on the crevices are nice. Love this area. Did you get a chance to go up to Mammoth. There are some nice vistas on way to Devils Postpile of the Minarets, great sunrise shots as valley dark in front as light hits minarets. Alabama mountains are nice too on way to Mt Whitney. Love eastern Sierras. Used to work in Bishop once a month ages ago. pretty country. Fishing good too
Thanks and great to know about the road to Devils Postpile/the sunrise. And yeah we love that area too. We go as often as we can, often up to Lee Vining/Mono Lake.

Last edited:
Thanks and great to know about the road to Devils Postpile/the sunrise. And yeah we love that area too. We go as often as we can, often up to Lee Vining/Mono Lake.
The Osprey should be nesting on the Tufa soon if not already just FYI if you haven't seen that. We used to camp at Virginia Lakes years ago and Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport.

Great view. When I was a grad student at UCLA I thought about walking up whitney. Now 45+ years later, I think I have aged out.
Yeah, I tried a couple of times 20+ years ago to show up early and get the permit but didn't succeed. Now, I wouldn't even try.

The Osprey should be nesting on the Tufa soon if not already just FYI if you haven't seen that. We used to camp at Virginia Lakes years ago and Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport.
Great to know. I may actually get up there for a couple of days soon. Have only been to Bridgeport once but keep meaning to go back.

Great to know. I may actually get up there for a couple of days soon. Have only been to Bridgeport once but keep meaning to go back.
could you let me know the progress of the ospreys when you go. Go to the Tufa site at south side on Mono Lake. Violet Green swallows will greet you. Also Eared grebes around

Back