If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

GrandNagus50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A fully adult male Anna's hummingbird has appropriated the feeder we hang outside a kitchen window. His perch of choice is a branch atop a feijoa (pineapple guava) bush. I can photograph him through the window, which has the advantage of letting me work reasonably close to him and also keeping me warm and dry :). I have made him a bit of a project, trying different lenses out, using teleconverters, etc. From this spot I cannot get full light on his gorget; I think I will have to try an upstairs window. But this photo gets a lot of the brilliance. I have been surprised, a little, that the best photo so far is this one taken with a Nikon Z7, FTZ adapter, Sigma Sports 150-600mm zoom, and Sigma 1.4x TC. 840mm f10, 1/800, ISO 3200. processed with DxO PureRaw and Photoshop.
AnnasS15060014a.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A fully adult male Anna's hummingbird has appropriated the feeder we hang outside a kitchen window. His perch of choice is a branch atop a feijoa (pineapple guava) bush. I can photograph him through the window, which has the advantage of letting me work reasonably close to him and also keeping me warm and dry :). I have made him a bit of a project, trying different lenses out, using teleconverters, etc. From this spot I cannot get full light on his gorget; I think I will have to try an upstairs window. But this photo gets a lot of the brilliance. I have been surprised, a little, that the best photo so far is this one taken with a Nikon Z7, FTZ adapter, Sigma Sports 150-600mm zoom, and Sigma 1.4x TC. 840mm f10, 1/800, ISO 3200. processed with DxO PureRaw and Photoshop.View attachment 29477
Beautiful capture. đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

A fully adult male Anna's hummingbird has appropriated the feeder we hang outside a kitchen window. His perch of choice is a branch atop a feijoa (pineapple guava) bush. I can photograph him through the window, which has the advantage of letting me work reasonably close to him and also keeping me warm and dry :). I have made him a bit of a project, trying different lenses out, using teleconverters, etc. From this spot I cannot get full light on his gorget; I think I will have to try an upstairs window. But this photo gets a lot of the brilliance. I have been surprised, a little, that the best photo so far is this one taken with a Nikon Z7, FTZ adapter, Sigma Sports 150-600mm zoom, and Sigma 1.4x TC. 840mm f10, 1/800, ISO 3200. processed with DxO PureRaw and Photoshop.View attachment 29477
Superb love the bird and the bokeh. Beautiful.

LOve those closeup hummingbird shots. Pretty clear shot thru window. Only upsetting thing about this picture is that when my wife sees it, she will make me clean the windows! I have a water fountain in front yard allows me to get a few hummingbirds close up. It is great to see detail in feathers when you can get close in. Nice shot. I will need to reposition my feeder to a clean window now.

I don't totally understand why photographing through this particular window works well. In my effort to get good lighting on the gorget I tried setting up in our converted attic, where there are also windows. None of the photos came out sharp, and I am sure it was because THAT window created distortion. It was clean.

I don't totally understand why photographing through this particular window works well. In my effort to get good lighting on the gorget I tried setting up in our converted attic, where there are also windows. None of the photos came out sharp, and I am sure it was because THAT window created distortion. It was clean.
Tempered glass has sort of a wave in it. Glass on doors, on stairwells and within 18 inches of floor by code are tempered at least here in CA.