My best image ever of a Halloween Pennant

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Despite the heat this am, I went back over to the Trempealau National Wildlife area early in the am with a plan. I really wanted to get my best shot ever of a Dragonfly and the Halloween Pennant I shot yesterday was still working his perch. I had planned how I wanted the background to look, the wings to stand out, and the perch. I knew what editing I wanted to do in Photoshop, I just needed to implement the plan!

One of the advantages of being semi-retired is that I have a lot of time to get exactly the shot I want, and being willing and able to walk away if the situation does not meet my expectations. This was the 5th day I went over to the Refuge to get this shot. Sometimes it was too windy, sometimes too late and too bright. One day, too smokey from the wildfires in Canada and the shot didn't look clean enough.

Below is the final edit of the Halloween Pennant with the background I hoped to get. I hope you agree that it's a pretty darn good shot ...all things considered! I have a bad habit of getting too close, too much detail, vs. a good image of the entire subject in its environment. In this case, sitting on its favorite perch.

It's pretty rewarding to be able to obsess over a result! Thank you for the opportunity to obsess!!

Halloween-Pennant-bcf.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back