My Estimate of 800 F6.3 PF z Price

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Actually, I now use the Sony fe200-600mm, and paid 1900 for that lens new.
Although the 500PF arguably has better image quality, with better contrast and clarity, I would sooner say that these lenses are very different, than calling one superior to the other. The 500PF gave me very good images on the D500, the 200-600 gives me very good images on the A1, with that noticeable bit of extra reach.

Is the 500PF built twice as good as the 200-600G? I don't see it, the 200-600 is heavier, but not built less well as far as I can see.

Well, IMHO I think you can't compare lens prices like this, because there is always a company internal price politics aspect to it as well.
But yes, if I am not afraid about a platform change, I have a better choice nad this includes getting more lens for less money and depending on what you do with it, the cheaper alternative could well be the better one, being it weight/agility, IQ, reach, flexibility or whatever.

Not talking about price, but for me it was still is right that I have sent back the Nikon 200-500 and get the 500PF, because of handling, IQ, AF speed, the fact that I need the long end 80 to 90%, ... you name it, but for someone else it could have been the exact opposite.

I am reading here and there that Nikon under priced the 500PF, and fail to see sense in that statement....To say that it is underpriced is really stretching it...
I suspect many of those who say that Nikon priced the 500 PF too low are simply going by how high the demand was for the lens. Which is indeed in line with conventional wisdom/classical economics. No doubt Nikon priced the lens to be profitable. Also no doubt had they accurately predicted market demand they would have priced it higher.

I've argued a few times in other posts, including images , why I often use 800mm and there are cases where I still need more reach ie 1120 and 1600. And cropping is too often not optimal. The 800 f6.3S PF is S Series so I'm confident the image quality will match if not better the 500 PF. And this means sharp shot wide open "f6.3. The main question is, is it affordable!

• How many people will actually have the need for an 800mm lens in times, where you can shoot a 45MP sensor in DX mode and still have roughly the same or even more resolution than the single digit pro bodies, which were the cutting edge for the wildlife photographers for ages.
  • How many people of those actually using an 800m lens are willing to swap their 800 f/5.6 for a 800 f6.3 PF just for size and weight, because after having seen images made with a Z9 and the 800 f5.6 via FTZ, IQ can by no means be the reason for a change - just as it was for swapping the 500 f4G for the E version.
f6.3 is only 1/3 stop slower than f5.6.
The f5.6 and f8 ceilings are hangovers from the DSLR AF constraints, and we keep seeing the Z MILC's focus very well at f8 and slower

• Didn't perhaps the earNings from selling relatively high numbers of the 500PF with a smaller margin come out better than having half the units sold wiEgh a slightly higher margin. I know this sounds agressive against the elitary approach of some of the gold ring club members, but in other industries this often made a big difference - right up to a decision pro or con a particular system, platform or manufacturer.
It's been argued above in this thread (also by many elsewhere, if Nikon price this 800 PF relatively affordably they will attract many birders, and there are millions out there in the N Hemisphere, literally. And a big proportion photography what they see. So these unique long telephotos are likely to sell many more high end Z cameras. A significant proportion will buy other Z Lenses and Nikon products.

This Multiplier Effect is precisely the Prosumer aka Hobbyist sector of the market, which Nikon is prioritizing. A bigger slice of the MILC cake is critical for Nikon in this shrinking camera market.

Edited in this post, added here Postscript: https://photographylife.com/the-nikon-z-800mm-f-6-3s-unusual-price-in-context

Screenshot_2023-10-08-07-17-12-086.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation, this.

As my friend is one of those blessed with the ownership of one of these 800 f/5.6 jewels, the interesting questions will be:
  • How many people will actually have the need for an 800mm lens in times, where you can shoot a 45MP sensor in DX mode and still have roughly the same or even more resolution than the single digit pro bodies, which were the cutting edge for the wildlife photographers for ages.
  • How many people of those actually using an 800m lens are willing to swap their 800 f/5.6 for a 800 f6.3 PF just for size and weight, because after having seen images made with a Z9 and the 800 f5.6 via FTZ, IQ can by no means be the reason for a change - just as it was for swapping the 500 f4G for the E version.
  • Didn't perhaps the earings from selling relatively high numbers of the 500PF with a smaller margin come out better than having half the units sold wigh a slightly higher margin. I know this sounds agressive against the elitary approach of some of the gold ring club members, but in other industries this often made a big difference - right up to a decision pro or con a particular system, platform or manufacturer.
From this perspective, I coud imagine that it could be exactly the right thing for Nikon to repeat "the mistake of having sold the 500PF too cheap".
If Nikon goes this way, this will finally push the prices for used 800 f5.6 to a level, where I could think of getting one as soon as I have the financial plannung safety of getting a new job :love::).
DOn't have a 800 F5.6 but have 600 F4. I'll "upgrade to the 800 PF. Last trip to Africa I found I was using my 500 PF w/ 1.4 TC all the time (that is 700mm) and wished for another 100 or ... of focal length. Plus the 800mm will be much lighter (and smaller) than the 600 F4.

Selling a lot of 500 PF cheaply may have been a strategic decision. get lots of attention and drive Canon/Sony users to consider switching. May not get many but a few switchers will result in extra bodies and lens sales.

Back