If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Gerenuk! They can look quite comical with their long necks and big ears. But I loved watching them feed.

The gerenuk is a notably tall, slender antelope that resembles gazelles. It is characterized by its long, slender neck and limbs, the flat, wedge-like head and the large, round eyes. Males are nearly 89–105 cm (35–41+1⁄2 in) tall, and the shorter females 80–100 cm (31–39 in); the head-and-body length is typically between 140 and 160 cm (55 and 63 in). Males weigh between 31 and 52 kg (68 and 115 lb); females are lighter, weighing 28–45 kg (62–99 lb). The tail, that ends in a black tuft, measures 25–35 cm (10–14 in). They feed mainly by standing up on their hind legs.

_KD52802-X3.jpg

_KD52842-X3.jpg

We were on a photo tour and I seemed to be the only one who got excited about these guys! The guide only stopped once - some distance away from the gerenuks - so I only got that one chance to get just a few images before we headed off again.

I love those tight little butts...............:giggle:

We were on a photo tour and I seemed to be the only one who got excited about these guys! The guide only stopped once - some distance away from the gerenuks - so I only got that one chance to get just a few images before we headed off again.

I cannot disagree! :sneaky:
That is one reason I will never go on a guided tour again! Its not just about the big five, it is everything that moves and cross your path, like these lovely antelopes. Together with the dikdik, I think they are the sweetest, ugliest small game. There is never time to stop properly and near like when they drive up to an elephant and park the Landie with its nose under its trunk!

I love the gerenuk too. Unfortunately (fortunately?) there was still food closer to the ground so standing was not yet necessary. The remind me of the Kaminoans from Star Trek. :)

I've been on 4 tours and 90% of the time during the tour they get it right. However, it seems I am the oddball tourist that wants to photograph weaver birds, gerenuks, ox peckers, agama lizards and species other than the big 5!

The Gerenuk! They can look quite comical with their long necks and big ears. But I loved watching them feed.

The gerenuk is a notably tall, slender antelope that resembles gazelles. It is characterized by its long, slender neck and limbs, the flat, wedge-like head and the large, round eyes. Males are nearly 89–105 cm (35–41+1⁄2 in) tall, and the shorter females 80–100 cm (31–39 in); the head-and-body length is typically between 140 and 160 cm (55 and 63 in). Males weigh between 31 and 52 kg (68 and 115 lb); females are lighter, weighing 28–45 kg (62–99 lb). The tail, that ends in a black tuft, measures 25–35 cm (10–14 in). They feed mainly by standing up on their hind legs.

_KD52802-X3.jpg

_KD52842-X3.jpg
Awesome capture of some fascinating creatures.
Happy trails Karen.

I'd say that's because most wouldn't understand the significance/uniqueness of this sighting, granted their habitat is such a small one, found only from NW TZ to Central Ethiopia semi desert regions. And why most are just fixated on the BIG 5. Just another reason why I always have my own vehicle & guide and go at my own pace.
I leave tomorrow for just such areas. ;)

Nicely seen and documented Karen, glad you got him to stop. (y)

I'd say that's because most wouldn't understand the significance/uniqueness of this sighting, granted their habitat is such a small one, found only from NW TZ to Central Ethiopia semi desert regions. And why most are just fixated on the BIG 5. Just another reason why I always have my own vehicle & guide and go at my own pace.
I leave tomorrow for just such areas. ;)

Nicely seen and documented Karen, glad you got him to stop. (y)
I envy you! I wish you a great trip!

I love the gerenuk too. Unfortunately (fortunately?) there was still food closer to the ground so standing was not yet necessary. The remind me of the Kaminoans from Star Trek. :)
They certainly are interesting to watch!
Very nice and very unique Karen.
Thanks so much, Ira!
Great photos of a unique animal.
Appreciate the comment, Micky!
Amazing shots Karen of some very unique behavior. excellent images.
Thanks, Louis!
Super pictures Karen! I'm like you, I'd be shooting for hours!
So appreciate the encouragement, Eddie!