My first “test drive” with the Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I finally was able to take my Z8 for a proper test drive last week. This is my first mirrorless camera, and I transitioned from a D500. To say I’m impressed wouldn’t be accurate…I’m BLOWN AWAY by this camera. The AF system is stunning and has increased my keeper rate exponentially. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but really not as much as I expected.

These are just a few highlights from a two hour morning session. All were taken with my Z8 + Nikkor 500mm F/4G.

_Z818709-Enhanced-NR (Custom).jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_Z819821-Enhanced-NR (Custom).jpeg

_Z811738 (Custom).jpeg

_Z811558 (Custom).jpeg
_Z812791 (Custom).jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words. I also forgot to mention that my learning curve with the Z8 was significantly shortened by @Steve's fantastic Z8/Z9 setup guide, as well as the video he put together for his recommended settings on the Z8/Z9. The information contained in both is invaluable, and got me where I wanted to be much faster than if I had to figure out everything on my own. Thank you @Steve!

I finally was able to take my Z8 for a proper test drive last week. This is my first mirrorless camera, and I transitioned from a D500. To say I’m impressed wouldn’t be accurate…I’m BLOWN AWAY by this camera. The AF system is stunning and has increased my keeper rate exponentially. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but really not as much as I expected.

These are just a few highlights from a two hour morning session. All were taken with my Z8 + Nikkor 500mm F/4G.

View attachment 65344
View attachment 65345
View attachment 65346
View attachment 65348View attachment 65349
Great camera, great lens and great skills. What a wonderful result, thanks for sharing all those wonderful images.

Back