If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Crr008

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I wanted to thank all on the general board who gave advice on making homemade solar filters and on technique for the eclipse today. I feel like am about 90% ready for next year's total eclipse where my town will be 100% in the path of totality. Now I just need to get as ready as I can for the totality part. ;)

2023 Annular Eclipse Progression.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is super neat. Good work. was Your filter a DIY? What was the set up?
Yes, the filter was DIY that I learned about from a gentleman on this board. I decided to use a Nikon Z8 with a 500mm pf lens to photograph the eclipse. The filter size for the lens is 95mm. For the DIY, I bought Thousand Oaks 4"x4" solar filter sheet. I used a cheaper 95mm UV filter to attach to the camera. It was suggested to use a 95mm to 82mm step down adapter to trap the solar filter between the 95mm UV filter and step down ring; however, the person said there was a small black ring around their pictures because the 82 is smaller than the 95. I decided to try a 95mm to 105mm step up adapter instead. I used the 105mm to trace a circle on card stock and then used that circle to cut out the right size circle from the 4"x4" solar sheet. I added the 95mm to the camera, dropped in the cut filter sheet, and gently screwed on the 105mm step up adapter. You have to make sure the solar sheet is cut just right so it doesn't fall out because the 105mm is larger than the 95mm. If you can get the fit right, so the solar filter stays in and there is no black ring around your shot. Camera setting used for the eclipse were 1/2500, f 8, ISO 2500.

Last edited: