My impressions of the Nikon 180-600 - low light AF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RockvilleBob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I took the 180-600 out on a kayak to Burtons Island, leaving a few minutes before sunrise.
Since this is my favorite time for kayak photography I wnted to see how the lens performed in low light.
For my use the len's low light AF was more than good enough.
I paddled out with Ken and both of us missed the Osprey in tree. The sun is barely rising behind the island, behind the Osprey. Visibility was very poor. I did not even know the Black Crowned Night Heron was next to the Osprey until I got home.
The Clapper Rail was another shot with the sun just rising and the bird in the shadow of its favorite grass hideout.
The sun remained behind heavy clouds as it rose and the Osprey perched on the sign for a long session. This was an early shot.
Bottom Line - for an amateur photography like me the Nikon 180-600 low light AF performance is good enough. Indeed, an f4 lens would means lower ISO but denoise software is pretty good and only getting better. Eye Focus was on the money.
osprey-in-the-dark.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

clapper-rail-in-the-dark.jpg

osprey-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bob, I see you’re shooting the lens stopped down, how are the results wide open ?
When I am paddling I usually stop the lens down. I don't know when/where a subject pops up or how big it is. I like getting most of the image in focus. That's a long way of saying I did not run this as a test, it is just my impressions for how I use the lens. I did open the aperture all the way on some images I have posted elsewhere and found the results terrific.
Again - not a review - just my impressions. With the new Z lenses I may start to open the aperture more since the combination of the Z9 and Z lenses is very good. Old habits die slowly.

Excellent shots…if only either of m6 orders (B&H and Nikon) would ship…I would be a happy camper. You’re right…the f4 lens would allow lower ISO but Topaz or DxO mostly solves the noise issues…and the f4 is many more $ and bigger/heavier/much less hand holdable. I agree with you that for most amateurs the expense of the f4 is unnecessary.

Excellent shots…if only either of m6 orders (B&H and Nikon) would ship…I would be a happy camper. You’re right…the f4 lens would allow lower ISO but Topaz or DxO mostly solves the noise issues…and the f4 is many more $ and bigger/heavier/much less hand holdable. I agree with you that for most amateurs the expense of the f4 is unnecessary.

great images! Good to know the low light performance looks better than I'd expected.
Thank you Anjin and Patrick. Nikon delivered, albeit late but a very good lens.

Nice images, although I think the Denoise on 1 and 2 are too heavy handed for my personal tastes.

I took the 180-600mm out this weekend myself as well and while I didn't have any low light opportunities, I am more than happy with the lens performance as a fellow enthusiast as well.

Hi Bob, I see you’re shooting the lens stopped down, how are the results wide open ?
@ajrmd: Results are more than acceptably sharp wide open in my opinion.

Nice images, although I think the Denoise on 1 and 2 are too heavy handed for my personal tastes.

I took the 180-600mm out this weekend myself as well and while I didn't have any low light opportunities, I am more than happy with the lens performance as a fellow enthusiast as well.

@ajrmd: Results are more than acceptably sharp wide open in my opinion.
Thanks Stevie. I have used f8 in a kayak for years. However that was with old cameras and lenses. I need to try larger apertures since both lenses and cameras have improved. When kayaking I generally have very little time to capture an image and I have felt that f8 let me get a good keeper rate with DSLR and older lenses. Hard to change old habits but it is a good suggestion and I will try using a more wide open apertaue.
As I mentioned earlier in another response the intent was not to post images of not but to illustrate low light focus. These were processed with Topaz Denoise Low Light at AUTO.

Back