My New Nikon Z8 VR, IBIS Is it really meant to run all the time?.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MorganP

I have a new Z8 and FTZ II. I'm using non Z lens and the VR runs all the time when the camera is turned on / active. It is my understanding that this is normal and the only way to stop it is to turn the VR off at the lens. or turn off the camera.

Is this correct?? Please tell me if I misunderstood something.

I have a new Z8 and FTZ II. I'm using non Z lens and the VR runs all the time when the camera is turned on / active. It is my understanding that this is normal and the only way to stop it is to turn the VR off at the lens. or turn off the camera.

Is this correct?? Please tell me if I misunderstood something.
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The VR will run as long as a Nikon mirrorless camera is turned on and awake. It's not really a problem.

@Steve had a blog post and video on this topic:

Yes, that's perfectly normal. The VR will run as long as a Nikon mirrorless camera is turned on and awake. It's not really a problem.

@Steve had a blog post and video on this topic:

Thank you for your reply I was hoping I was wrong. Oh and thanks for the link.

When stabilization was first introduced in SLR lenses, you had to turn it off (on the lens barrel) for long exposures on a tripod or the stabilization would do some slight hunting looking for something to adjust. This would make the image slightly blurry even though the camera was not moving. With mirrorless stabilization (in camera and with lenses that have it combined with lens) this is no longer a concern. The camera sensor is sophisticated enough to know when the camera is not moving and not try to use stabilzation. I have a Z8 and use it both handheld and on a tripod for long exposure cityscapes and having stabilization on all the time has never been a problem.

I wouldn't worry about this whatsoever, see Steve's above linked vid / article here. From what I recall, with F-mount lenses, you don't have the option of turning off VR via the menus - it must be done via the switch on the lens. I remember the VR tile in the Info screen being grey'd out with my 200-500 on my Z6II. And IBIS and VR will only work together, we can't selectively turn one off and the other on. They're both on, or both off. Some extra info, if that helps. :)
Thank you for your reply I was hoping I was wrong.

If I may provide my two cents: Agree with the favt that VR no longer jas to be turned off on Z-series when on a tripod, I tried neither so wont argue any of this. Battery life impacts seem negligible, didn't test it neither but won't argue otherwise. One thing to keep in mind so, IBIS and VR moves stuff around all the time, said stuff has a certain service life, or cycles, of how often it can be moved around. So for pure reliability benefits, I'd turn IBIS off if not needed, same as using the elctronic front curtain when possible extebds the service life of the shutter mechanism.

Back