My Story Continues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tom Reynolds

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Not quite 2 years ago my wife and I went to Laguna Seca Ranch and South Padre Island with Jeff Wendorff having just upgraded our Nikon D-7200's and Sigma 150-600Cs to D-500s and 500pfs. Boy was that combination one sweet setup. Jeff and one lady in our group were shooting the Sony A1 200-600 combinations and if they produced images at Laguna Seca Ranch better than my D-500/500pfs I didn't see them.

If disaster had not struck, I would still have those awesome 500pf's, now bolted to a Z-8, keeping my D-500's as backup.

Unfortunately, disaster did strike. Jeff advised me that the 500mm would be perfect for the Ranch but on the South Padre Island Birding Center and the SPI Convention Center boardwalks the birds would either be a "ways-off" necessitating 500mm or "right-there" requiring a shorter lens.

No problem I thought. I purchased two additional D-500s and two 300pfs and a couple of dual Black Rapid straps to easily carry them. I saved some money getting the two additional D-500s and the 300pfs used and figured that I was fixed for a couple of years at least. Jeff questioned "why didn't I go mirrorless". I gave him some mumbo-jumbo, but the real reason was that I was simply a Nikon guy. Buying Sony, or horrors, Canon was turning to the dark side.

Disaster struck on the boardwalks. While the other members of the group were all using zooms (Sony, Canon and a Nikon 200-500) and happily adjusted the reach depending on the situation, I found that simply couldn't carry my two-camera solution! The problem was simply too much weight.

I left South Texas for Los Angeles telling my wife we needed a single camera-lens combination, a zoom. In fact, it was just me who had the problem. My wife could handle the Nikon two-camera solution just fine, but her strategy was to have a kit identical to her husband.

I started researching a single camera-lens solution. Nikon didn't have an acceptable solution. One member of the group had a D-500/200-500 which was heavy, cumbersome and did not take pictures anything like my 500pf. Nope, not Nikon. I sold or gave away all my Nikon gear. Dark side, here I come.

Fast forward almost two years.........

This Wednesday I fly to Texas and repeat exactly the same trip, 3 days at the Ranch and 3 days on South Padre Island. Hopefully, the Spring migration will be in full swing. No Jeff. He has gone on to bigger, better, more expensive trips.

I didn't really go to the dark side. Canon is the dark side, Sony less so but still betrayal. OM Systems? Well, is just weird.

At the Ranch I will be using an OM Systems 300f4 coupled with an upgrade OM Systems camera, the OM-1 mark II. On the boardwalks I will be using an OM Systems 100-400 zoom.

My story continues.

Yours?

Tom

Last edited:
my progression is maybe the mirror opposite to your own. while i haven't changed systems (other than to mirrorless), i've started shooting as long and as fast as i can, so basically primes. in fact, this weekend i shot an event where the 70-200 is probably the perfect length, but instead i brought the 400 4.5 :-D

so basically, i'm shooting that 500pf you moved away from 😂

Great story!
The million dollar question, Now with the Z lineup, are you still missing your perfect Nikon kit?

How is the OM system performing?

First, by me the Nikon D-500 with the 500pf was absolutely perfect for bird photography two years ago and, given the controlled environment of Laguna Seca Ranch still is. The blinds and perches are ideally set up. The camera is at the eye level of the bird. The background is far in the distance and the perches allow you to fill your frame with a SP AF so the 20mp of the D-500 is just fine and subject ID not necessary.

I think that my original OM-1 mark 1 with a 300f4, sometimes with a TC produces slightly sharper pictures. Essentially, Nikon prime versus OM Systems prime, both 20mp, I at least broke even under the controlled environment I described. Possibly a Z-8 with a 600pf would outperform a new OM-1 mark ii with a 300pf and a 1.4TC by a smidgen, or possibly not. Basically, a wash at least at Laguna Seca Ranch so no reason to return to Nikon for my trips to the Ranch.

In less than controlled conditions the Nikon Z-8/600pf wins. The ability to shoot in full-frame or DX mode essentially gives me two lenses as the two camera 300pf/500pf setup that I couldn't carry did. To accomplish the same with the OM-1 300f4 I would need to be changing teleconverters while in the field. I intend to TRY that this approach on my upcoming trip because the boardwalks are a clean predictable environment with the railing always available to assist.

I say TRY because I have never adopted changing lenses or TCs in the field. It always seemed too hard and too risky. On a typical dirt trail I would be disinclined to adopt the prime/change TC strategy and would take the 100-400 zoom. Quite frankly, the OM Systems OM-1/100-400 zoom gives up a bit of IQ to the prime approach and limits frames-per-second to 25. It has as its primary benefit a less than 4# total weight, so I am happy with it for what it is but prefer the prime whenever possible.

Still, the full frame 45mp Z-8 has certain unassailable advantages over the 20mp m43. I may well invest in a Nikon Z-8/600pf in the field but do not intend to sell my OM Systems kit to do so.

What I intend to test on my upcoming trip
1-Adding/changing/deleting TC's in the field.
2-Using OM System high-res mode to create 50mp images of stationary subjects
3-Developing a new strategy for using ProCapture (pre-capture) using the new OM-1 mark ii with its 250-frame buffer. (The OM-1 mark i has about 90)
4-Using OM Systems HDR mode in low light, high ISO situations.
5-Dramatically dropping the shutter speed to insane lows in low-light, high ISO situations and taking many shots at 50 f/s hoping that the subject isn't moving in at least some.

As you can see, certain of OM Systems Computational Modes I will use to narrow the gap between the 45mp Nikon sensor and the 20mp m43 sensor. In particular, I would love it if HIGH-RES can create a better IQ image with the 100-400 zoom while two other strategies attempt to mitigate high ISO situations. How effective these approaches may be is unknown, but I will report my results for OM-1 users here.

Finally, I have used ProCapture with the OM-1 mark 1 but the large buffer may yield a better strategy.

So, to directly answer the question OM Systems is doing just fine but I still miss a NIKON FF/prime rig.

Tom

First, by me the Nikon D-500 with the 500pf was absolutely perfect for bird photography two years ago and, given the controlled environment of Laguna Seca Ranch still is. The blinds and perches are ideally set up. The camera is at the eye level of the bird. The background is far in the distance and the perches allow you to fill your frame with a SP AF so the 20mp of the D-500 is just fine and subject ID not necessary.

I think that my original OM-1 mark 1 with a 300f4, sometimes with a TC produces slightly sharper pictures. Essentially, Nikon prime versus OM Systems prime, both 20mp, I at least broke even under the controlled environment I described. Possibly a Z-8 with a 600pf would outperform a new OM-1 mark ii with a 300pf and a 1.4TC by a smidgen, or possibly not. Basically, a wash at least at Laguna Seca Ranch so no reason to return to Nikon for my trips to the Ranch.

In less than controlled conditions the Nikon Z-8/600pf wins. The ability to shoot in full-frame or DX mode essentially gives me two lenses as the two camera 300pf/500pf setup that I couldn't carry did. To accomplish the same with the OM-1 300f4 I would need to be changing teleconverters while in the field. I intend to TRY that this approach on my upcoming trip because the boardwalks are a clean predictable environment with the railing always available to assist.

I say TRY because I have never adopted changing lenses or TCs in the field. It always seemed too hard and too risky. On a typical dirt trail I would be disinclined to adopt the prime/change TC strategy and would take the 100-400 zoom. Quite frankly, the OM Systems OM-1/100-400 zoom gives up a bit of IQ to the prime approach and limits frames-per-second to 25. It has as its primary benefit a less than 4# total weight, so I am happy with it for what it is but prefer the prime whenever possible.

Still, the full frame 45mp Z-8 has certain unassailable advantages over the 20mp m43. I may well invest in a Nikon Z-8/600pf in the field but do not intend to sell my OM Systems kit to do so.

What I intend to test on my upcoming trip
1-Adding/changing/deleting TC's in the field.
2-Using OM System high-res mode to create 50mp images of stationary subjects
3-Developing a new strategy for using ProCapture (pre-capture) using the new OM-1 mark ii with its 250-frame buffer. (The OM-1 mark i has about 90)
4-Using OM Systems HDR mode in low light, high ISO situations.
5-Dramatically dropping the shutter speed to insane lows in low-light, high ISO situations and taking many shots at 50 f/s hoping that the subject isn't moving in at least some.

As you can see, certain of OM Systems Computational Modes I will use to narrow the gap between the 45mp Nikon sensor and the 20mp m43 sensor. In particular, I would love it if HIGH-RES can create a better IQ image with the 100-400 zoom while two other strategies attempt to mitigate high ISO situations. How effective these approaches may be is unknown, but I will report my results for OM-1 users here.

Finally, I have used ProCapture with the OM-1 mark 1 but the large buffer may yield a better strategy.

So, to directly answer the question OM Systems is doing just fine but I still miss a NIKON FF/prime rig.

Tom
Thank you, very informative information.
In my last trip to Florida, I took along the Thinktank roller bag, great wheels, and messed with TC’s in the bag. But I didn’t have sand blowing around either, and I had the rocket blower handy.

Not quite 2 years ago my wife and I went to Laguna Seca Ranch and South Padre Island with Jeff Wendorff having just upgraded our Nikon D-7200's and Sigma 150-600Cs to D-500s and 500pfs. Boy was that combination one sweet setup. Jeff and one lady in our group were shooting the Sony A1 200-600 combinations and if they produced images at Laguna Seca Ranch better than my D-500/500pfs I didn't see them.

If disaster had not struck, I would still have those awesome 500pf's, now bolted to a Z-8, keeping my D-500's as backup.

Unfortunately, disaster did strike. Jeff advised me that the 500mm would be perfect for the Ranch but on the South Padre Island Birding Center and the SPI Convention Center boardwalks the birds would either be a "ways-off" necessitating 500mm or "right-there" requiring a shorter lens.

No problem I thought. I purchased two additional D-500s and two 300pfs and a couple of dual Black Rapid straps to easily carry them. I saved some money getting the two additional D-500s and the 300pfs used and figured that I was fixed for a couple of years at least. Jeff questioned "why didn't I go mirrorless". I gave him some mumbo-jumbo, but the real reason was that I was simply a Nikon guy. Buying Sony, or horrors, Canon was turning to the dark side.

Disaster struck on the boardwalks. While the other members of the group were all using zooms (Sony, Canon and a Nikon 200-500) and happily adjusted the reach depending on the situation, I found that simply couldn't carry my two-camera solution! The problem was simply too much weight.

I left South Texas for Los Angeles telling my wife we needed a single camera-lens combination, a zoom. In fact, it was just me who had the problem. My wife could handle the Nikon two-camera solution just fine, but her strategy was to have a kit identical to her husband.

I started researching a single camera-lens solution. Nikon didn't have an acceptable solution. One member of the group had a D-500/200-500 which was heavy, cumbersome and did not take pictures anything like my 500pf. Nope, not Nikon. I sold or gave away all my Nikon gear. Dark side, here I come.

This Wednesday I fly to Texas and repeat exactly the same trip, 3 days at the Ranch and 3 days on South Padre Island. Hopefully, the Spring migration will be in full swing. No Jeff. He has gone on to bigger, better, more expensive trips.

I didn't really go to the dark side. Canon is the dark side, Sony less so but still betrayal. OM Systems? Well, is just weird.

At the Ranch I will be using an OM Systems 300f4 coupled with an upgrade OM Systems camera, the OM-1 mark II. On the boardwalks I will be using an OM Systems 100-400 zoom.

My story continues.

Yours?

Tom
When where you at the ranch?

Jeff, All,

This was my first trip after hip replacement surgery (about 4 weeks ago). I had questions.

1-Could I walk without leg pain. Yes. How far? Maybe 1/10 mile but multiple times.
2-What about back pain? Still there.
3-Would my new ProCap process work with my OM-1 mark 2. Apparently. I found the bird in the frame and half pressed via the iPhone OI Share app. When the bird flew I pressed the shutter via the app. When the bird hopped from one place to another I did this repeatedly. I did not run out of the 250-frame buffer in the new mark 2. I say apparently because I also half-pressed the normal way, so I am not completely sure the phone app works.
4-Could I get a painted bunting flying towards me. Yes, attached is my first of many attempts but I wish I had 45-60mp with the 50f/s (focus-each-frame) that the mark 2 provides.
_4210166_painted_bunting.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_4210168_PB_2.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I have confirmed that the OI Share iphone app does operate ProCap correctly. What is needed is a button option that starts ProCap. When either Sony or Nikon catch up to OM Systems on a FF 45+mp sensor with RAW, 50 f/s and 200+ frames of buffer size, we will really have something.
_4210504-2Woodpecker.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I have confirmed that the OI Share iphone app does operate ProCap correctly. What is needed is a button option that starts ProCap. When either Sony or Nikon catch up to OM Systems on a FF 45+mp sensor with RAW, 50 f/s and 200+ frames of buffer size, we will really have something.View attachment 87325
Hi Tom, Nice shots! Yep it would be nice if Nikon added RAW to the pre-capture, even if it was 10 fps. On your shots, does the OM-1 model II focus for each shot? Some of your shots don't look quite focussed (the second painted bunting shot)? Or are they cropped heavily? (don't see the EXIF data)

Last edited:
You need to give the bird space to fly so cropping is required which is why I think a 45+ mp image is really valuable. Both Painted Bunting shots are heavily cropped but not processed in post so no sharpening, no noise reduction. The last shot, the woodpecker, was only cropped in the horizonal direction but was shot in the rain.

The OM-1, both versions focus for each shot. With a PRO lens they can focus @50 f/s but the 100-400 only 25. I can tell you that 10f/s won't get it and 25 is problematical. 
_421110_great_kiskadee.jpg

You need to give the bird space to fly so cropping is required which is why I think a 45+ mp image is really valuable. Both Painted Bunting shots are heavily cropped but not processed in post so no sharpening, no noise reduction. The last shot, the woodpecker, was only cropped in the horizonal direction but was shot in the rain.

The OM-1, both versions focus for each shot. With a PRO lens they can focus @50 f/s but the 100-400 only 25. I can tell you that 10f/s won't get it and 25 is problematical.
Yep am sure 20 or 30 (or even 120 like the new Sony a9 though that is only 25 megapixels) would be better but don't see it happening with the current Z8 or Z9. I used the D500 with 10fps for many years (without precapture)! So will have to wait for the next iteration of full frame cameras when hopefully advances in technology allows such things.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well after surgery. I think hip replacement and cataract surgery are the two surgeries that truly fix people.

A couple of questions:
1) Were you shooting with the 300 or your 100-400 zoom when shooting from the blinds?
2) Why are you using the phone app? Just to test or a perceived benefit on your part? I ask because I am constantly adjusting the camera position when using ProCap.

Granted I'm using a pro lens with the 150-400 TC or the 40-150 in SH 2 (50 frames/sec), but with a zoom and particularly in a blind shooting situation I don't feel a larger sensor requirement is an issue.

If it's a perched bird about to take off, I estimate it's wing span and put the bird head in the corner of the frame to maintain initial focus (bird ID, all points focus) and pick which direction I want it to fly given the lighting and background. I'm constantly moving the camera with the bird hoping it'll take off in the appropriate direction and angle within my chosen frame. I've cut off some wing tips with poor estimation on my part, but I don't end up cropping the take off flights and have been quite happy with the results.

If I'm going for an interaction photo (birds fighting over a perch), I pick the frame size where I want an approaching bird to appear and follow the same format.

Looking forward to any other shots you'll share. I've never seen a painted bunting but what a beautiful bird.

I am shooting the 300f4, my wife the 100-400. I can't estimate the frame size. With a zoom I might but those Buntings are always moving and small. I only had a small period one day when the Buntings were active.

Today I am on the SPI boardwalk 100-400. Very light,

My story continues.

Yours?

Tom
My husband and I did the same thing--switching from Nikon to Olympus and we are very pleased with the OM system. We have also spent time at Laguna Seca and you will like your new set-up. The 300 is an awesome lens and the 100-400 offers a lot of versatility. Good luck and have fun!

Back