If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Daniel Zdonczyk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Fiery-throaded hummingbird. Costa Rica. Although I love pictures that are very well exposed, I confess my weakness for ethereal-somber images. For example, we all have seen very nice colorful frogs ( I like them too) but I remember seeing an image of a frog hit by rain in the darkness done by Frans Lanting. That image has been stamped in my brain permanently . Perhaps it is the emotional trigger which produces a long-lasting memory.

_DSC9457_01_02.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice image Daniel.
I, at times, also like to shoot the darker moody images. Sometimes I like to shoot dark but high contrast black and white. I can't point to any one image that influenced me but I do tend to like the more saturated colors in slightly underexposed images. Back in the film days, I would always set the ISO on my cameras to under expose about 1/3 stop.

Nice image Daniel.
I, at times, also like to shoot the darker moody images. Sometimes I like to shoot dark but high contrast black and white. I can't point to any one image that influenced me but I do tend to like the more saturated colors in slightly underexposed images. Back in the film days, I would always set the ISO on my cameras to under expose about 1/3 stop.
Thank you Jeff. I think the tendency to liking underexposed images is perhaps the leaning towards more "artsy" type results. I used fill-in flash to bring out the chest colors. I wish I could take credit but this bird is incredibly beautiful and responsible for most of what you see.

Last edited:
Fiery-throaded hummingbird. Costa Rica. Although I love pictures that are very well exposed, I confess my weakness for ethereal-somber images. For example, we all have seen very nice colorful frogs ( I like them too) but I remember seeing an image of a frog hit by rain in the darkness done by Frans Lanting. That image has been stamped in my brain permanently . Perhaps it is the emotional trigger which produces a long-lasting memory.

View attachment 52778
That is a gorgeous little bird! Nice.