If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I mentioned in another thread that I put a lot of focus on finding and photographing owls this winter. Here are some of them from the last couple months. Quite Northern Pygmy Owl-centric, as that is certainly my favorite species for now. FYI, the owls species are Great Horned, Northern Pygmy, Long-eared, Northern Saw-whet, and Western Screech.

501_5339-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_0283-Edit-2.jpg
DSC_0807-Edit-2.jpg
DSC_1117-Edit-2.jpg
DSC_1772-Edit-2.jpg
DSC_2899-Edit-2.jpg
DSC_4495.jpg
DSC_2447-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, some luck is definitely involved. Did you not say you have a thermal imaging device. I definitely am interested this technology. Just staring to research it. (y)

Yes, some luck is definitely involved. Did you not say you have a thermal imaging device. I definitely am interested this technology. Just staring to research it. (y)
Yes, I believe all the owls in the images were initially spotted with the thermal. I have found a few in the last couple months without it, but not many.

I hadn't thought of using something like that before. What sort of thermal device are you using? Fantastic photos, by the way
I'm using a Pulsar Helion 2 XP50 Pro, but there are cheaper options with good enough performance I would guess. Pulsar recently released Axion 2 XQ 35 and XG 35 which both look pretty good, though the XQ 35 will be significantly reduced performance relative to my current imager. I would strongly advise against any of the FLIR Scout series, including the "top of the line" Scout III 640. They are horribly overpriced for the performance. FLIR Scion models are much better, but still overpriced IMO.

Last edited:
Amazing series and congrats on finding some great owls. I'm also interested in the thermal device since I've had little luck I'm finding owls in my neighborhood

Steve Matthews put out a video around a month ago re his photographing a Pygmy Owl, in case you are interested. It is titled Big Lens, Tiny Owl, Deep Snow.
Yep, I saw it. I think that video might've been what prompted me to try to find one of those owls. I've since found at least 3; maybe 5 different ones.