My Z8 arrived today!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Micky

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So excited to learn about the Z8. It feels great in my hand. Not as much of a difference, size wise, from the Z6ii as I had anticipated. I intend to get it set up and dive right in. For now, I am keeping the Z6ii. I am sure that I will be perusing these forums and asking questions. There is a ton of information to be found here. Thanks to all of the contributors.

So excited to learn about the Z8. It feels great in my hand. Not as much of a difference, size wise, from the Z6ii as I had anticipated. I intend to get it set up and dive right in. For now, I am keeping the Z6ii. I am sure that I will be perusing these forums and asking questions. There is a ton of information to be found here. Thanks to all of the contributors.
Micky,
Congrats on the upgrade. I went from the Z7ii and love the tracking on the Z8. It does take a bit to learn the subtleties of settings and banks but checkout videos here and there and it gets easier to understand.
Best Always,
Vinny

Micky,
Congrats on the upgrade. I went from the Z7ii and love the tracking on the Z8. It does take a bit to learn the subtleties of settings and banks but checkout videos here and there and it gets easier to understand.
Best Always,
Vinny
Thank you. Appreciate your input.

I am still setting up the Z8, and configuring it, as I read Steve’s Z8/9 setup and shooting guide.

Stepped outside this morning and saw some deer. So, I grabbed the Z8 and was amazed at the subject detection/tracking. Locked onto the eye and stayed in focus. This is going to be fun.

Last edited:
Micky…you may find out as I did that since the Z6II uses User Modes (which are sticky) and the Z8 banks (which aren't) that moving back and forth between them causes some muscle memory issues. I still have my Z7II but it's essentially unused at this point because it works so differently…in addition to the better AF, SD, and FPS in my 2 Z8s. I keep toying with the idea of. selling mine…

Micky…you may find out as I did that since the Z6II uses User Modes (which are sticky) and the Z8 banks (which aren't) that moving back and forth between them causes some muscle memory issues. I still have my Z7II but it's essentially unused at this point because it works so differently…in addition to the better AF, SD, and FPS in my 2 Z8s. I keep toying with the idea of. selling mine…
I almost traded my Z6ii in. But, decided to wait and see if a Z6iii is introduced and what it will do. No rush.

You will love 💕 the Z8. I’ve had mine for a year and use it regularly, even with adaptive lenses. Steve’s set up guide is very useful and spot-on. I will re-emphasized a point he makes about “battery life”…… The Z8 uses the same battery as the D850 & Zf (et.al?) both of which use less juice than the Z8. Steve’s advice on this subject is detailed somewhere in his guide book…🧐. I was surprised at how much ”airplane” mode extended battery life…..

I almost traded my Z6ii in. But, decided to wait and see if a Z6iii is introduced and what it will do. No rush.
The only problem is that the resale value for either the 6ii or 7ii will go down if the iii’s are released…and I don’t really need to sell the 7ii to afford new toys so the walking around camera option with it and the 24-200 or 24-70 is a nice light/small option. It is an excellent camera except for action where it struggles.

The only problem is that the resale value for either the 6ii or 7ii will go down if the iii’s are released…and I don’t really need to sell the 7ii to afford new toys so the walking around camera option with it and the 24-200 or 24-70 is a nice light/small option. It is an excellent camera except for action where it struggles.
This is true. I may very well keep the Z6ii and not move to the Z6iii. The main reason that I would trade or sell the Z6ii is that I really do not need three cameras.

This is true. I may very well keep the Z6ii and not move to the Z6iii. The main reason that I would trade or sell the Z6ii is that I really do not need three cameras.
I don’t need three either…but the resale value is low enough that keeping it for a travel or walking around camera makes sense. If I needed the $ to buy something else that would be different.

Back