If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Oosty

The village of Nababeep is an old copper mining community in Namaqualand, Northwest Cape Province of South Africa. We were very lucky to get to see them and the story is worth repeating here. On Monday, August 29, my car broke down near a town called Springbok . While it was in the repair shop Ingrid and I tried to make the best of a bad hand by walking around trying to get pictures of the few flowers in the town. As we were about to go through a gate a man in his 40's pulled up to his house and said we should see the flowers at Nababeep. When we explained our predicament he said "Take my truck". W e replied"We can't do that - you don't even know us and we aren't insured" Realising that we were hesitant he said "Hop in , I'll take you"

Turns out he's the owner of the Okiep Hotel, a few mile out of town and has lived there all his life. He said that these were easily the best flowers he'd seen in his life and that we had to see them. It was a perfect afternoon and we were very lucky as he said this would probably the peak.

Thank you Malcolm Mostert for your kindness to two perfect strangers,

All with Z5 and 24- 200 mm Z lens

Cascade.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
 Gold on tghe rocks.jpg
Nababeep Gold.jpg

Hi Peter what a coincidence, we were down there a few days before you, and camped in Springbok,
One of the locals also recommended that we visit Nabapeep and I took some photos in the same area.
Our route covered around 4400 kilometers from Edenvale to Cape Town via Augrabies ,most of the west coast towns, and then home via a part of the garden route, and the Karoo National Park.
We found all the locals to be very helpful and provided my wife and I with lots of advice and guidance.
The flowers were absolutely amazing and very well worth visiting.
Regards,
Gavin

Imagine my surprise seeing Nababeep on an international forum 😂
The flowers are next level - wow. and you did them justice too.
You can't beat our hospitality can you...
Hi Elsa - we were on our way back from Namibia when the CV joint decided to give up the ghost.
Imagine Springbok with no accommodation available due to flowers and potentailly 5 days to wait for a part!
The locals were amazing - one lady at a guest house that was full arranged accommodation at the Springbok Lodge which the owner managed to upgrade- not 5* but certainly adequate.
The Renault dealer put in a bit of effort and the part was removed, sent 700 to Cape Town , repaired and refitted in 48 hours!!
Everyone went out of their way to help and make us feel at home.........................the way South Africans were known for.

Wonderful photos and an even better story. Unfortunately we are inundated by the media with all of the bad things that people do. But there are so many out there who live by the second greatest commandment to love our neighbors.
Thank you. There are really many decent people who do care about others but I think we have become innately suspicious of those who need help and sadly of those who offer help. It's probably easier to trust others in remote places like teh Northern Cape and Alaska where trust goes both ways.

Hi Elsa - we were on our way back from Namibia when the CV joint decided to give up the ghost.
Imagine Springbok with no accommodation available due to flowers and potentailly 5 days to wait for a part!
The locals were amazing - one lady at a guest house that was full arranged accommodation at the Springbok Lodge which the owner managed to upgrade- not 5* but certainly adequate.
The Renault dealer put in a bit of effort and the part was removed, sent 700 to Cape Town , repaired and refitted in 48 hours!!
Everyone went out of their way to help and make us feel at home.........................the way South Africans were known for.
I hear you on the accommodation part in flower season -
so it wasn't the destination - but the journey that turned out to be awesome.
Glad you got sorted and made it back safe. Springbok isnt exactly a big city :D

Hi Peter what a coincidence, we were down there a few days before you, and camped in Springbok,
One of the locals also recommended that we visit Nabapeep and I took some photos in the same area.
Our route covered around 4400 kilometers from Edenvale to Cape Town via Augrabies ,most of the west coast towns, and then home via a part of the garden route, and the Karoo National Park.
We found all the locals to be very helpful and provided my wife and I with lots of advice and guidance.
The flowers were absolutely amazing and very well worth visiting.
Regards,
Gavin
Hi Gavin
That was about the extent of our flower experience as the weather closed in a bit.
We got there via Kgalagadi and Namibia and hugely grateful the breakdown happened where it did.
I look forward to your images.
Regards
Peter

The village of Nababeep is an old copper mining community in Namaqualand, Northwest Cape Province of South Africa. We were very lucky to get to see them and the story is worth repeating here. On Monday, August 29, my car broke down near a town called Springbok . While it was in the repair shop Ingrid and I tried to make the best of a bad hand by walking around trying to get pictures of the few flowers in the town. As we were about to go through a gate a man in his 40's pulled up to his house and said we should see the flowers at Nababeep. When we explained our predicament he said "Take my truck". W e replied"We can't do that - you don't even know us and we aren't insured" Realising that we were hesitant he said "Hop in , I'll take you"

Turns out he's the owner of the Okiep Hotel, a few mile out of town and has lived there all his life. He said that these were easily the best flowers he'd seen in his life and that we had to see them. It was a perfect afternoon and we were very lucky as he said this would probably the peak.

Thank you Malcolm Mostert for your kindness to two perfect strangers,

All with Z5 and 24- 200 mm Z lens

View attachment 68692View attachment 68693View attachment 68694
Beautiful shots and heart warming story! Thanks for sharing. Probably a once in a lifetime experience that sticks in your mind.

Beautiful shots and heart warming story! Thanks for sharing. Probably a once in a lifetime experience that sticks in your mind.

Wow, great story! if only all strangers were that kind & generous! :unsure::cool::)
It was amazing to receive this reaction - in the distant past South Africans were known for their generosity and hospitality. It was not unknown for travelling strangers to be invited for a meal. Probably the same in the vast unpopulated areas of the US at that time.
I've seen displays of Namaqualand flowers before in 2011 and 2021 but nothing quite like this.
Closer to Cape Town the Potberg reserve and Darling area regularly put up great shows but of totally different flowers.

Wonderful place and images. Loved the story to go along with them. The sight of so many yellow flowers growing wild like that reminds me of the bright yellow coreopsis flowers that adorn the landscape at Myakka River State Park. Many people that visit there go out into the field where they are for selfies, etc. Right now, the fields are flooded so one would have to be careful not to step on an alligator. I'll put some shots of it up soon.

Beautiful, Peter.
Wow, this brings back memories. I was in that area circa 1978. The company I was working for was trying to do business with O'Okiep Copper Mine. We spent three nights in the hotel in Springbok and a few days on the mine. I was in my very early 20's then.

Wonderful place and images. Loved the story to go along with them. The sight of so many yellow flowers growing wild like that reminds me of the bright yellow coreopsis flowers that adorn the landscape at Myakka River State Park. Many people that visit there go out into the field where they are for selfies, etc. Right now, the fields are flooded so one would have to be careful not to step on an alligator. I'll put some shots of it up soon.

Beautiful, Peter.
Wow, this brings back memories. I was in that area circa 1978. The company I was working for was trying to do business with O'Okiep Copper Mine. We spent three nights in the hotel in Springbok and a few days on the mine. I was in my very early 20's then.
Thanks for the comments - I look forward to seeing your pics K9K and Rassie the same family has owned the hotel for years. I love the Namaqualanders who are so open and helpful everywhere.

Thanks for the comments - I look forward to seeing your pics K9K and Rassie the same family has owned the hotel for years. I love the Namaqualanders who are so open and helpful everywhere.
I posted an older shot in the "Wildlife Presentation" last night and it's titled, "Turkey in Yellow.' It's not a wild angle shot so it doesn't exactly do the field justice, but you'll get the idea for sure. Be well!