If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

aolander

D500, 300mm f/4 PF

(I submitted it to BugGuide.net to find out.)

caterpillar-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I've started using using Google Lens for trying to identify some of these things. I plugged your picture into it and the first two results were different kinds of sawfly larvae. It's been pretty helpful. Anyone else tried it out?

(I've deleted the picture from my phone, btw)

I've started using using Google Lens for trying to identify some of these things. I plugged your picture into it and the first two results were different kinds of sawfly larvae. It's been pretty helpful. Anyone else tried it out?

(I've deleted the picture from my phone, btw)
Thought about Lens, but I did it the hard way. Googled ‘caterpillar white black stripe’, then switched results to images. I scrolled to the second page… there it was. I have taxonomic keys here (yep, books), but they’re easier to use with physical specimens rather than photographs. I’m going try working with Lens for a while. Especially if it’s more efficient. I’m not a total glutton for punishment. :p