Nature and wild life photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi , I like to use my Nikon 200-500mm 5.6 Tele on my both camera body Nikon Z6 ii and D850.I have FTZ adapter to use on above lens. Now if I need to use TC to increase focal length for distant objects. Is there anybody have suggestion if I use combination like this
Z6 ii + Z TC +FTZ+ nikon F 200-500 tele lens will it work ok or any other possibilities to occur.pls advise.

No, you cannot use the Z teleconverter on a non Z lens, and only a few Z lenses can use the converter.
you can use an F converter on the FTZ adaptor with an F lens…just make sure the lens and converter are compatible. Of course an F teleconverter will work with your D850 as well

No, you cannot use the Z teleconverter on a non Z lens, and only a few Z lenses can use the converter.
you can use an F converter on the FTZ adaptor with an F lens…just make sure the lens and converter are compatible. Of course an F teleconverter will work with your D850 as well
Thanks Patrick, for your quick response. If I use FTZ adapter in between Z camera and F mount tele 200-500. Will it work full fledged with results?

Thanks Patrick, for your quick response. If I use FTZ adapter in between Z camera and F mount tele 200-500. Will it work full fledged with results?
Yes it will work perfectly. Tne lens is not fast focussi and some people think it’s the camera. It is a slow lens on a DSLR. Having said that, I loved ipising the lens on my D7500 in Antarctica in 2020.

In addition to Patrick’s response, with which I concur, the 200-500 with a TC-14Eii or iii will actually focus faster on a Z8 or Z9 than on the D850. In decent light, responsive AF is also achievable with 1.7x and 2x TCs on the Z8 or Z9 although IQ suffers.

In addition to Patrick’s response, with which I concur, the 200-500 with a TC-14Eii or iii will actually focus faster on a Z8 or Z9 than on the D850. In decent light, responsive AF is also achievable with 1.7x and 2x TCs on the Z8 or Z9 although IQ suffers.
With respect ARClark,
Highly appreciate for response. I will try your advise. Thanks

Thanks ,
ARC..., is it possible with Z 2.8 70-200 VR S zoom and Z 2x TC can work ok or or average? Pls advise.
I don’t have that lens, so can’t comment directly. But by reputation, the 70-200 is said to be very sharp. So adding a 2x TC could yield very usable images, depending on what you’re trying to achieve - especially if it’s for occasional use and you’re trying to avoid purchasing a longer lens. However, if you plan on shooting a lot at 400mm, you might consider getting a lens that offers that focal length.

Last edited:
Back