Need Help -- Nikon Z 8 Lens function

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I keep endeavoring to utilize the "Banks" function to have 4 different modes.
1. Standard/Walk around functions
2. Action - Bird Photography
3. Landscape Tripod
4. Astro

Everytime I load/Save my Menus -- all of my menus DO NOT HOLD!
Especially my Lens Function button/Lens Function Button 2 --

What am I doing wrong?

There are two types of banks - Photo Shooting and Custom Function. If you're using just the Photo Shooting Banks, your custom settings won't transfer, you'll need to setup the Custom Settings banks as well. Then switch both when you want to go from one type of photography to another. And yes, it's very convoluted, and Nikon needs to come up with a better system.

Its SO frustrating because I want to have my "standard setup" ready to go every time I go to the field. I think my menus are all done and viola -- NOT!
I have been setting up both the "photo shooting menu" and "custom Settings menu".
Okay === If I understand you correctly my "custom settings menu" will NOT save during the save/load function? Maybe I'm have a senior moment? thank you

Its SO frustrating because I want to have my "standard setup" ready to go every time I go to the field. I think my menus are all done and viola -- NOT!
I have been setting up both the "photo shooting menu" and "custom Settings menu".
Okay === If I understand you correctly my "custom settings menu" will NOT save during the save/load function? Maybe I'm have a senior moment? thank you
I think you have a couple of different things going on :)

Photo Shooting / Custom Banks aren't really the same things save/load settings. You have four banks under the Photo Shooting Menu and four under the Custom Settings Menu (both at the very top). You can switch to a bank and set it how you like. When you switch to a different bank, it'll use the settings for that bank. If you adjust any setting while in the bank, those become the new defaults. Each bank saves settings for that particular menu (i.e., Photo Shooting or Custom Settings). So you can have four different sets of settings for both menus.

The only way I usually would incorporate Save/Load settings into the mix is if I wanted a saved baseline I could return to because I was adjusting different parameters while in a bank. Save/Load should save all the info from all the banks.

THank you Steve!! I so enjoy your videos and e books!! I will keep what you said in mind and go forward!! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question(s). Enjoy your Sunday!! I'm off to go shoot somewhere tomorrow!! Be Safe!!

There are two types of banks - Photo Shooting and Custom Function. If you're using just the Photo Shooting Banks, your custom settings won't transfer, you'll need to setup the Custom Settings banks as well. Then switch both when you want to go from one type of photography to another. And yes, it's very convoluted, and Nikon needs to come up with a better system.
Now I'm confused. I used to have Action and Scenic Custom banks and similarly named Photo Shooting Banks. I would switch both banks when switching between action and scenic. Now I just have one shooting bank and only switch between Custom Action or Scenic banks.

When I save these settings what exactly isn't saved?

Now I'm confused. I used to have Action and Scenic Custom banks and similarly named Photo Shooting Banks. I would switch both banks when switching between action and scenic. Now I just have one shooting bank and only switch between Custom Action or Scenic banks.

When I save these settings what exactly isn't saved?
It's all saved to the banks. The trick is if you change something while in a bank, that's becomes the new default for that setting.

Oh, yeah, that's been dumb since the beginning....thanks for clarifying to this dummy..:)
Don't worry about it - the banks are a perpetual source of confusion. :)

I wish Nikon would take a page for Sony here - they allow you to save settings across menus and the settings are sticky. So, you can go into a set of settings, change a bunch of stuff, and then the next time you go back it's at your defaults (which, of course, you an also change if you like). So much simpler and works the way 99% of the people using it would expect it to. I've asked Nikon for this, but they seem married to the banks.

I hope your recommendations don't go on DEAF ears at Nikon. Maybe it just takes Nikon for ever to change their protocols.
Love my z8 but it sure is a PAIN WITH banks/ etc. Old school thinking!!
If they want younger people to use these new camera systems -- they HAVE to change! Keep doing what you do -- ITS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED and your approach to photography is very common sense!! My dad was a professional photographer and I get my love of photography from him!!

I hope your recommendations don't go on DEAF ears at Nikon. Maybe it just takes Nikon for ever to change their protocols.
Love my z8 but it sure is a PAIN WITH banks/ etc. Old school thinking!!
If they want younger people to use these new camera systems -- they HAVE to change! Keep doing what you do -- ITS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED and your approach to photography is very common sense!! My dad was a professional photographer and I get my love of photography from him!!
Thanks so much!
And I'll keep pushing them. :)

I loved the user settings in the z6 and other non pro cameras. You save your settings to U1,U2 or U3. That’s it. Changes don’t stick…you have to re-save . Banks are weird. Once set as you desire, Save them! Now all you need to do, if you‘ve made changes, is to re- load to get back where they were before the changes, or Save them for the new defaults.

Back