Need Helping Deciding if I Should Sell Some Beloved Gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have the 14-24 2.8 and 105 macro in f mount. I seldom use them so I will keep those and use on the Z8 and 9. All other is gone and replaced by the Z lenses. Do it now or later, you will go to Z for the most often used lenses. Easy decision for me

Sell your old Nikon gear there's still a market for it (even it's shrinking. I've never used Nikon gear, I was a Canon shooter and sold some of it when I switched to MFT (all but a couple of lenses are Olympus bodies and lenses); I still have a couple of my Canon bridge cameras and only use them when I'm in a canoe in case I dunk -- most of the time they gather dust and your old gear will too.

If you're to using it…there's no reason to keep it unless you're a collector. DSLRs had their day…but just like they supplanted SLRs which supplanted rangefinder cameras…tech continues to improve and today's best are MILC. That doesn't mean that older ones can't and do still take good photos…but as you've made the leap to the Z8 because of the advantages it has it's like upgrading from a flip phone to an iPhone.

If you're to using it…there's no reason to keep it unless you're a collector. DSLRs had their day…but just like they supplanted SLRs which supplanted rangefinder cameras…tech continues to improve and today's best are MILC. That doesn't mean that older ones can't and do still take good photos…but as you've made the leap to the Z8 because of the advantages it has it's like upgrading from a flip phone to an iPhone.
Great point about it being tech. When I upgrade my iphone, I don’t keep the old phone.

Tools not jewels. If you have gear in the stable that's not helping, it's time to sell it. Especially if the funds from that gear can help you buy other gear that will help. The goal of photography isn't to have gear you love, it's to have photos you love :)
Well said (written)!

I may be a lone voice here, but from where I stand my DSLR and F lenses work just fine and give me (some) great keepers. I see no good reason to make the switch to mirrorless, although if money were no object I would probably do so, if for no other reason than to stay current. Yes, I understand the faster frame rates and better AF for mirrorless (as well as other smaller advantages) but at the present time I don’t feel they would give me enough of an edge over what I’m currently enjoying. I’d rather invest in better glass than I have right now (I can already hear the roar of people saying Z-series lenses are better), as I think this would improve my results more than being on a mirrorless platform. Is my thinking short sighted, muddled, and just plain flawed? Am I missing the obvious that everyone else already seems to get? Honest questions. My apologies to the OP if my comments are too tangential to his questions.

Last edited:
Well said (written)!

I may be a lone voice here, but from where I stand my DSLR and F lenses work just fine and give me (some) great keepers. I see no good reason to make the switch to mirrorless, although if money were no object I would probably do so, if for no other reason than to stay current. Yes, I understand the faster frame rates and AF for mirrorless (as well as other smaller advantages) but at the present time I don’t feel they would give me enough of an edge over what I’m currently enjoying. I’d rather invest in better glass than I have right now (I can already hear the roar of people saying Z-series lenses are better), as I think this would improve my results more than being on a mirrorless platform. Is my thinking short sighted, muddled, and just plain flawed? Am I missing the obvious that everyone else already seems to get? Honest questions. My apologies to the OP if my comments are too tangential to his questions.
Better glass is probably better than a body upgrade, but it depends on your current camera body and lenses too. Also what you shoot, how weight sensitive you are, etc etc.

I'll say that with my z9 having no shutter and being able to enjoy nature completely without the shutter flapping was a positive change for me, but I got a lot of mileage out of the body upgrade too. It's not just the iq that matters, but a lot of external qualities that aren't necessarily visible in the images alone.

Is my thinking short sighted, muddled, and just plain flawed? Am I missing the obvious that everyone else already seems to get?
I don't think so. I think your approach as bounded by budget is perfectly sensible.

To me it's far more important to get out and shoot than it is to have the best possible gear. Sure if you can do both that's fantastic but getting out and shooting is still the most important thing and late generation DSLRs and their glass is really, really good stuff even if top end mirrorless gear can offer even more features.

My gear is now split between Nikon's mirrorless Z mount and F mount gear. I need some help reasoning out keeping or selling some beloved gear. Background: My D850 is my first higher end DSLR and I love it. However, I now have the Z8 and over the past 4-5 months, I have grown confident in using it. When I first got the Z8, I would also pack my D850 when I would go out to shoot. It was sort of a back up (mentally in most situations) in case I couldn't manage the new to me mirrorless system and needed to switch over to the D850 to get the shots. There was only one occasion in the beginning when I broke out the D850 but now I leave it at home. Since getting the Z8, I have shot all the major events and outings I typically shoot (theater/plays, birding/wildlife, butterflies/dragonflies/flowers, portraits/family pictures and occasionally some macro). I feel comfortable with the mirrorless system now. A few months ago I did sell some of my F mount lenses and I plan to sell more (14-24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8,). There are more F mounts I love and want to keep although I'm not sure it makes sense (105mm, 300mm pf, 500mm pf, 70-200mm f2.8- all of which I still use with the Z8). I have the following Z mount lenses already: 40mm f2, 85mm f1.8, 24-120mm f4, and the 600mm f6.3. In the future I'd like to get the Z 20mm f1.8 and possibly the Z 135mm f1.8 plena. However, I'm not buying any more lenses until I definitively decide what to do with the F mount gear. One other piece of info, I don't mind using the FTZ adapter so it is not a factor in my decision.

Does it make any sense to keep the following Nikon F mount gear now that I'm feeling comfortable & confident with the Z8?
1. Nikon D850
2. 300mm pf (use for flowers, butterflies, dragonflies and bugs)
3. 500mm pf (Use for birding and wildlife. I just got the 600mm f6.3 pf and don't know if the 500mm is worth keeping since the difference in focal length is small. I do like that it is f5.6).
4. 70-200mm f2.8 (This is my favorite lens, is tack sharp, and is perfection in my eyes. I use this lens almost exclusively for portraits and theater performances. I hear the Z version is just as good or better. I really don't want to let this go. My fear is I'll never have another lens like this one).
5. 105mm f2.8 (I dabble in macro but often go long periods of time without using this lens. Just don't know if it is worth trading in for the little amount of money I would get for it).

This is not primarily about getting money from selling the gear (although that would be nice). It may seem silly to some but I know my struggle is more with my emotions and attachment to the gear; however, I'm open to reasonings for keeping or selling the D850 and/or any of the lenses. I guess I just need a little bit of help getting over my hesitation and sorting it through without my attachment being a factor. Thanks in advance.
As you grow into Z your emotions for the F will dissipate. But I think it is getting more difficult to sell F mount gear and that means lower prices. Nikon has not made any changes to their F mount lineup for a long time now and with no current "hot camera" it seems as tho the handwriting is on the wall that to stay current you need to go Z. Selling F mount stuff is going to get harder and harder (meaning less $$) as time marches on (IMO).
The good new is that Z mount lenses are terrific with some features not found on F mount lenses...

Well said (written)!

I may be a lone voice here, but from where I stand my DSLR and F lenses work just fine and give me (some) great keepers. I see no good reason to make the switch to mirrorless, although if money were no object I would probably do so, if for no other reason than to stay current. Yes, I understand the faster frame rates and AF for mirrorless (as well as other smaller advantages) but at the present time I don’t feel they would give me enough of an edge over what I’m currently enjoying. I’d rather invest in better glass than I have right now (I can already hear the roar of people saying Z-series lenses are better), as I think this would improve my results more than being on a mirrorless platform. Is my thinking short sighted, muddled, and just plain flawed? Am I missing the obvious that everyone else already seems to get? Honest questions. My apologies to the OP if my comments are too tangential to his questions.
Your thoughts on “F” equipment have merit. It’s dependent on projected or planned use. The “tools are not jewels” idiom cannot be applied with a broad brush. There is a tendency in our various professions, hobbies, and pastimes to want, if not lust, for the next latest and great thing. It’s supposed to be better and make whatever we’re into produce improved results… right? Not so fast here… Sometimes the technology progresses at a rate exceeding our ability to understand and use it effectively. When I got my Z9 over a year ago the new “stuff” was overwhelming. My D850 was the well known trusted kid on the block that gave me confidence. The Z9 scared me 😱 silly! I bought Steve’s Z guide and slowly worked my way through and have gained confidence with the Z8/9s.
But I intend to keep my D850. Not for sentimental reasons as much as for shooting in “equipment risk” environments, beach vacations, canoeing, street..etc. If I’m shooting wildlife the Z8/9 platform has herculean advantages over DSLRs that have improved my images. For everything else the D850 & Df aren’t going anywhere. If you are a working professional photographer or hobbyist that sells work you would likely benefit jumping from F to Z. Don’t follow the rest of the “lemmings over the cliff” just because……..

I have the 14-24 2.8 and 105 macro in f mount. I seldom use them so I will keep those and use on the Z8 and 9. All other is gone and replaced by the Z lenses. Do it now or later, you will go to Z for the most often used lenses. Easy decision for me
I am exactly on the same boat. I kept these two lenses because their trade-in value was so low I didn't think they were worth replacing, they are still beautiful lenses on their own right and with FTZ adapter they are as useable as before.

I am exactly on the same boat. I kept these two lenses because their trade-in value was so low I didn't think they were worth replacing, they are still beautiful lenses on their own right and with FTZ adapter they are as useable as before.
When I post photos made from the 14-24 AF-S I always mention 'the amazing 14-24 f2.8' - it truly is amazing. I'll die with it.

Thanks for your thorough input, Eric. I sold my AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 a few months back along with my AF-S 24-120mm. I rarely used the 24-70mm. Despite owning two copies of this lens, I was just never completely satisfied with results compared to the 70-200mm. I do see your point with not having a wider lens making less sense to keep the D850. My 70-200mm is a FL and I'm just not sure I can part with it. It may be the last thing I let go for the F mount. You make a good case to move on from the f mounts. I am so pleased with the Z8 and that's obviously going to be my primary camera for the days to come. I'm starting to lean towards letting the D850 go.
When my primary mirrorless camera was a Z7 or Z7II, I kept my D500 and D850 (mainly to use with the two F mount PF lenses). The DSLRs were better at BIF and fast action than the Z7/Z7II (although the two Zs were not bad).

Once I got a Z9, I stopped using the D500 and D850 and sold them. Great cameras, still. But mirrorless, especially with the Z9 and Z8 (I have both at this point), has many advantages for me. I mostly do wildlife photography, landscapes, and other nature.

As to F mount lenses, if you use the focal length, I think you will find the Z 24-120 and the Z 24-70 f2.8 are noticeably better than their F counterparts. I like the Z 24-120 for its flexibility. I use the Z 24-70 f2.8 when I want 2.8 or the best image quality across the frame that I can get (e.g., landscapes from a tripod).

The F 70-200 f2.8 E FL is a great lens. I liked mine a lot and found it worked well on my Z bodies. The reason that I got the Z 70-200 was the expectation that it would be better with TCs than the F mount version. I think that is true. But apart from that, needing to use an FTZ/FTZII, and somewhat different layouts (at least one of which favors the F mount — it has a VR switch), optically, I see no pressure to upgrade the F mount version you have to the Z version.

I like the Z 20 mm f1.8 a lot. I’ve used it for Milky Way, Northern Lights and other night photography, where its speed is very useful. Optically quite good. A decent landscape and general wide angle lens too.

I kept my 300 mm PF and 500 mm PF after getting the Z9 and Z8. They work great on mirrorless bodies. They also work better on mirrorless bodies if you want to use a TC than they do on a DSLR (has to be an F mount TC though). I’ve only recently sold the 500 mm PF and will soon sell the 300 mm PF. I bought the Z 400 mm f4.5 and have ordered the Z 600 mm PF (which should arrive any day now). Now that I have these Z telephotos (including the Z TCs), I did not / do not expect I will use the F mount PFs enough to justify keeping them. I liked the Z versions as they are longer, can use the Z TCs, do not need an FTZ/FTZII, and have Z controls. Optically, though, the F mount PFs remain great.

I did not have the F mount 105 macro. I bought the Z 105 macro to replace the F 70-180 macro. I have the Z 100-400 which has a nice close focus distance making it my butterfly, dragonfly and frog lens, so I was using the long end of the 70-180 less; also it won’t AF on a Z body (it’s a screw mount lens). (The 300 mm PF is good for this too.) The Z 105 macro is a very good lens and not just for macros. One negative: the Z version will not take a TC — I think the F version will.

Good luck with your choices. Nikon has given us a lot of good ones.

First, I wanted to thank everyone for your insights and assistance. Having equipment and cameras in both the Nikon DSLR and Mirrorless worlds and loving my D850 has made it a difficult decision but you all make good points. Your advice has also helped me put things in perspective and detach (mostly) from the equipment. With your help, this is what I have decided to do for the now:

I have decided to sell the following equipment:
1. Nikon D850 - Makes no sense to keep it since I feel comfortable with the Z8. Selling also paves the way for me to get a second Z body when I'm ready: one that could be used in messy situations with me not worry about it being damaged as much as I would the Z8.
2. 500mm pf - I just got the z600pf so keeping the 500pf makes no sense. Surprisingly, separating from this lens was harder than letting go of the D850. Such a great lens. Goodbye old friend.
3.105mm f2.8 - I don't use this one often, get a little frustrated with how slow the focus is, and can get the Z equivalent if I miss it.
4. 50mm - I have already purchased the z 40mm.
5. 14-24mm 2.8 - This is a fabulous lens but I am already eyeing the z 20mm (and considering the z 14-30mm) so I can replace it with a z lens easily.
6. 1.4 III TC - I mainly used this on my 500pf. Makes sense to sell since I'm not keeping the 500pf.
I figured with the sale of this equipment I can probably buy 1-2 z lenses.

I am keeping the following F mounts...for now.
1. 300mm pf - I use this lens a lot for flowers, butterflies, dragonflies and bugs. It is light weight and easy to carry around on my property.
2. 70-200mm f2.8 - This is my favorite and most frequently used lens for events/portraits. I will keep it until I have a z 70-200mm f2.8 in my hands and can confirm I'm satisfied with it as a replacement.
Both of these lenses will complement the z lenses I already have: 40mm f2, 85mm f1.8, 24-120mm, 600pf.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me think through this logically and offered differing options. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Last edited:
When my primary mirrorless camera was a Z7 or Z7II, I kept my D500 and D850 (mainly to use with the two F mount PF lenses). The DSLRs were better at BIF and fast action than the Z7/Z7II (although the two Zs were not bad).

Once I got a Z9, I stopped using the D500 and D850 and sold them. Great cameras, still. But mirrorless, especially with the Z9 and Z8 (I have both at this point), has many advantages for me. I mostly do wildlife photography, landscapes, and other nature.

As to F mount lenses, if you use the focal length, I think you will find the Z 24-120 and the Z 24-70 f2.8 are noticeably better than their F counterparts. I like the Z 24-120 for its flexibility. I use the Z 24-70 f2.8 when I want 2.8 or the best image quality across the frame that I can get (e.g., landscapes from a tripod).

The F 70-200 f2.8 E FL is a great lens. I liked mine a lot and found it worked well on my Z bodies. The reason that I got the Z 70-200 was the expectation that it would be better with TCs than the F mount version. I think that is true. But apart from that, needing to use an FTZ/FTZII, and somewhat different layouts (at least one of which favors the F mount — it has a VR switch), optically, I see no pressure to upgrade the F mount version you have to the Z version.

I like the Z 20 mm f1.8 a lot. I’ve used it for Milky Way, Northern Lights and other night photography, where its speed is very useful. Optically quite good. A decent landscape and general wide angle lens too.

I kept my 300 mm PF and 500 mm PF after getting the Z9 and Z8. They work great on mirrorless bodies. They also work better on mirrorless bodies if you want to use a TC than they do on a DSLR (has to be an F mount TC though). I’ve only recently sold the 500 mm PF and will soon sell the 300 mm PF. I bought the Z 400 mm f4.5 and have ordered the Z 600 mm PF (which should arrive any day now). Now that I have these Z telephotos (including the Z TCs), I did not / do not expect I will use the F mount PFs enough to justify keeping them. I liked the Z versions as they are longer, can use the Z TCs, do not need an FTZ/FTZII, and have Z controls. Optically, though, the F mount PFs remain great.

I did not have the F mount 105 macro. I bought the Z 105 macro to replace the F 70-180 macro. I have the Z 100-400 which has a nice close focus distance making it my butterfly, dragonfly and frog lens, so I was using the long end of the 70-180 less; also it won’t AF on a Z body (it’s a screw mount lens). (The 300 mm PF is good for this too.) The Z 105 macro is a very good lens and not just for macros. One negative: the Z version will not take a TC — I think the F version will.

Good luck with your choices. Nikon has given us a lot of good ones.
Thank you, BillW. This was a very helpful reply. I'm hanging onto the 300pf for now and selling the 500pf since my z600pf just arrived. I love the endorsement of the Z 20mm.

My decision recently was like yours. Which of my F-mount lenses to keep. I came to the conclusion for me the best was to sell my 300 PF and 70-200 FL E and get the Z100-400. It was a hard decision because I love those lenses. For my D780, which is my light travel camera, I'm keeping my 24-120 f4, 18-35 f3.5-4.5 and 50 f1.4
The Z100-400 and 600 for you covers everything. I am keeping my 500 PF because I like the size and weight.

I appreciate the encouragement. My biggest fear is regretting it and sounds like you have not in anyway. Great point about the 500mm and the Z 600pf and having to decide between them. Also, good to know about the Z 2x TC. I already have the Z 1.4 TC and it's been great so far. Nice to know the 2x works well with the 70-200mm. That might be enough to help me sell the Fmount 70-200mm lens but again it will be the last to go as I just love it and use it the most. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

@Doug A. Thank you. Sounds like am following in your footsteps. I just need to pull the trigger. Hearing all of these "successful" transition stories is definitely helping. Just curious how do you like your 20mm S?

Thanks. It is painful and I am very aware of the F mounts losing the value; that's pushing me to consider selling what I can. I can't afford to replace too many lenses at once, especially since I won't get as much for the DSLR gear, so I may have to go back to buying them one at time and prioritizing which ones to get first. Ugh, letting go is so hard. Thank you for your feedback.
Accept as a given you will regret selling something. Also you will likely regret buying something and still debate selling it. It's a good problem to have but being proactive is still a good concept. If you regret selling one item out of four or five - selling was a great move.

My take is a new Z lens is an upgrade in virtually every case - some by a significant amount. No regrets on Z lens purchases.

The lenses that are best in the F-mount arena are the FL lenses, the 500mm PF, and the 19mm PC. Beyond those lenses, a few are very good or unique. Keep those - or delay sale.

One more thought - being patient in selling gear has several angles. You will be holding onto gear you like. You will get top dollar on some of the gear you sell. But whatever you keep will continue to decline in value - possibly significantly. I've lost more money on not selling gear fast enough than I have by selling early or even selling when no longer used. My biggest regrets are not dropping price and moving gear when it had value - not selling gear.

Well said (written)!

I may be a lone voice here, but from where I stand my DSLR and F lenses work just fine and give me (some) great keepers. I see no good reason to make the switch to mirrorless, although if money were no object I would probably do so, if for no other reason than to stay current. Yes, I understand the faster frame rates and better AF for mirrorless (as well as other smaller advantages) but at the present time I don’t feel they would give me enough of an edge over what I’m currently enjoying. I’d rather invest in better glass than I have right now (I can already hear the roar of people saying Z-series lenses are better), as I think this would improve my results more than being on a mirrorless platform. Is my thinking short sighted, muddled, and just plain flawed? Am I missing the obvious that everyone else already seems to get? Honest questions. My apologies to the OP if my comments are too tangential to his questions.
You have good gear and 98-99% of the capability you would have with upgraded Z gear. It might make a little difference on margin, but with skill you can still get almost everything we would get with the latest gear. What you can't get would be some of the cutting edge techniques with the new gear - but that assumes you are willing to change style and learn new techniques. You might also find you get an extra edge with new gear so your standard gets higher. That's possibly not different in terms of keeper rate, but the keeper quality is higher.

I am in a similar situation. My three bodies are the Z9, D850 nd D500.

My longest tele is the 500mm f5.6 pf. I plan to keep it until I decide to buy the 600mm Z mount f6.3 pf. If I get the 600mm pf, I will sell the 500mm pf. I use it on all three of my Nikon bodies.

Macro. I use all three Nikon macro lenses on my Z9 and D850: 200mm f4; 105mm f2.8 G and the 60mm G. I added the 105mm f2.8 G F mount after I bought the Z9 as I bought it used from a wedding photographer for $500. For me, a used F mount 105 fit my need better than a new 105mm Z mount.

My F mount 70-200mm f4 is used on my Z9 and D850. I have a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 with a dead AF motor. I decided to buy the Z mount 100-400mm S lens and not the Z mount 70-200mm f2.8. If your 70-200mm f2.8 works great on your D 850 I would keep it and use it on my Z 8. If I need a Z mount 70-200 I will likely get the 70-180mm f2.8.

I love my 300mm f4 pf and use it on my Z9 and D850 and D500. I also use it with extension tubes on my D850 as a "long macro" lens. It is so light and versatile and sharp it will likely be in my bag forever.

I am in a similar situation. My three bodies are the Z9, D850 nd D500.

My longest tele is the 500mm f5.6 pf. I plan to keep it until I decide to buy the 600mm Z mount f6.3 pf. If I get the 600mm pf, I will sell the 500mm pf. I use it on all three of my Nikon bodies.

Macro. I use all three Nikon macro lenses on my Z9 and D850: 200mm f4; 105mm f2.8 G and the 60mm G. I added the 105mm f2.8 G F mount after I bought the Z9 as I bought it used from a wedding photographer for $500. For me, a used F mount 105 fit my need better than a new 105mm Z mount.

My F mount 70-200mm f4 is used on my Z9 and D850. I have a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 with a dead AF motor. I decided to buy the Z mount 100-400mm S lens and not the Z mount 70-200mm f2.8. If your 70-200mm f2.8 works great on your D 850 I would keep it and use it on my Z 8. If I need a Z mount 70-200 I will likely get the 70-180mm f2.8.

I love my 300mm f4 pf and use it on my Z9 and D850 and D500. I also use it with extension tubes on my D850 as a "long macro" lens. It is so light and versatile and sharp it will likely be in my bag forever.
Thanks, Joe. I hadn't thought about using my extension tubes with the 300pf. I'll have to try that out. And I did decide to keep the 70-200mm f2.8 for now. I just absolutely love it and get great results on the Z8.

Back