New 10mm Ultra Wide - Laowa 10mm f/2.8 Zero-D FF (Auto Focus)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been looking for a good ultra wide for my Z cameras and had to settle on my 14-24mm f2.8 for my rocket launch streak shots (a 2-3 min timed exposure). Depending on my location for launch, the streak didn't meet my expectations and ran off the edge of the photo. So I found the Laowa 10mm lens and I have very high hope for this fixing my shots. Here are some samples of previous streaks that ran off the edge of the photo or were close and a couple of the 10mm I took while playing with the lens. I'm posting this to let everyone know of this new lens and how great it renders. Now I just have to get a launch that actually goes. This last one has moved 4 times the day before the launch. I'm headed to of town so my next opportunity will be late Sept. I'll post the streak shot if I get good one. PS The second photo is two shots merged to show the launch streak and the two boosters landing back at the Cape. Take care all and safe shooting.

Attachments

• 240730 ULA Atlas USSF-51-3-11876-1.jpg
    240730 ULA Atlas USSF-51-3-11876-1.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 240625 SpaceX Heavy Streak UP & Down-1-2-1-1.jpg
    240625 SpaceX Heavy Streak UP & Down-1-2-1-1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 240823 EPCOT 135 & 10mm-32-1-1.jpg
    240823 EPCOT 135 & 10mm-32-1-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,031
  • 240823 EPCOT 135 & 10mm-41-Enhanced-NR-2-2.jpg
    240823 EPCOT 135 & 10mm-41-Enhanced-NR-2-2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,031
Thanx Patrick, I hadn't thought of this section as wildlife and landscape. I misunderstood the "General Photo Discussion" title. I was only trying to let folks know about the 10mm Laowa lens. Haven't had a chance to use it much on landscape or wildlife yet. And in some respects, all the example photos are landscape. Just wanted to inform the readership of this new lens. Have a great week and practice safe photography. I will post more appropriately in the future.

Thanx Patrick, I hadn't thought of this section as wildlife and landscape. I misunderstood the "General Photo Discussion" title. I was only trying to let folks know about the 10mm Laowa lens. Haven't had a chance to use it much on landscape or wildlife yet. And in some respects, all the example photos are landscape. Just wanted to inform the readership of this new lens. Have a great week and practice safe photography. I will post more appropriately in the future.
Appreciate your understanding, Rick! It sounds like an interesting lens. Looking forward to the images you create with it.

I've been looking for a good ultra wide for my Z cameras and had to settle on my 14-24mm f2.8 for my rocket launch streak shots (a 2-3 min timed exposure). Depending on my location for launch, the streak didn't meet my expectations and ran off the edge of the photo. So I found the Laowa 10mm lens and I have very high hope for this fixing my shots. Here are some samples of previous streaks that ran off the edge of the photo or were close and a couple of the 10mm I took while playing with the lens. I'm posting this to let everyone know of this new lens and how great it renders. Now I just have to get a launch that actually goes. This last one has moved 4 times the day before the launch. I'm headed to of town so my next opportunity will be late Sept. I'll post the streak shot if I get good one. PS The second photo is two shots merged to show the launch streak and the two boosters landing back at the Cape. Take care all and safe shooting.

Way cool, I have read about this lens elsewhere, very pleased to see it in action. At bout 800 dollars, 2.8 and AF it may be a deal. If you make more images, consider to message me where I can see the results (or post them here).

when did you get yours? i put myself on the waiting list but haven't heard an eta
I purchased mine from a local store in Orlando, FL., about 3 weeks ago. They have a web site; www.cphfun.com. I just checked and, unfortunately, they are only selling this lens as "in store only." Also checked Amazon for you and they have it with delivery around 16-17 Sep. Good luck. So far I'm diggin' this lens. I'm headed off to the UK tomorrow, so I'll post some landscape shots when I get back.

I ordered one for my Nikon Z cameras for landscape and night shots, the ETA from Mike's Camera in the SF Bay Area is the end of Sept. All of the reviews I've read/watched on YouTube seem to be positive. I'm looking for a good alternative to carry around other than my 14-24mm f/2.8 which is heavy and big, but produces great images.

For ultra wide this is the best you can get for the Z system other than the 14-24mm. It is wide and subjects can appear a long ways away but for getting it all in a scene. It’s great. I’ll be posting some shot with it after my trip to tha UK.

Back