New 180-600 lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently FINALLY received my new Nikon 180-600 lens to replace my trusty Nikon 200-500 lens. just a note to say just how much I am enjoying this killer lens. It is superior to my 200-500 in every way. I'm using it on my Z9. I instantly grabs pretty much anything I tell it to, and consistently yields crispier captures than my old lens. For example, I quickly snagged a fleeting shot of a raven flying over in the woods yesterday that is my best raven shot ever. Hand held too. I never would've gotten it with my slower to AF 200-500. I am really impressed with it even though it took over four months to get it.

RAVEN1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks for the post. I guess I'll go ahead too and exchange the 200-500 with the 180-600. Since I got the 100-400, I have hardly used the 200-500. I do understand that it's just 1/3rd stop difference but did you find any limitation with 6.3 being the lowest aperture in 180-600?

Thanks for the post. I guess I'll go ahead too and exchange the 200-500 with the 180-600. Since I got the 100-400, I have hardly used the 200-500. I do understand that it's just 1/3rd stop difference but did you find any limitation with 6.3 being the lowest aperture in 180-600?
Other than the very slight depth of field difference, I've not experience any difference from having f6.3 vs f5.6. Turning up ISO if I need to compensates for it if needed - even so, depending on the camera body used, noise control is well managed anyways from camera or post processing, so 1 stop difference won't make much an impact.

Back