New Account Review Process for BCG?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Other forums I belong to require admin approval for members to be added. It shouldn’t be hard to implement this, or a captcha …and I’m happy to get involved.

At one time I belonged to a forum for awhile that started as free but eventually required a paid subscription to participate. Since I didn’t think I was getting value from the free version, a subscription was a nonstarter.

BCG is worth the investment. I learn a lot here. So, maybe the free trial to subscription model would work here??

I tried contacting the forum software people, XenForo …. See the name at the bottom of this page…but they won’t talk to me as I’m not part of BCG management….even though I was only seeking ideas to help. Shame.

I agree, something has to be done. There is an update to the forum software, but the server requires a few updates before I can install it. However, at the moment I'm incredibly busy (lots of Z9 stuff) and I'm worried that if I update the forum software, there will be too may questions and I won't be able to get my other projects (namely the AF book update people are screaming for) for a week or so - just too much on my plate. Normally, if you report these I can get on them quickly, but I was traveling today. I normally shut off new signups, but figured I'd take a chance...my bad.

Also, I probably will hit a few people up to be moderators, but again, all the server and updates need to happen and I need to see what kinds of tools I might me able to install to stop the nonsense with spammers. The problem is, I don't want to get a bunch of mods approved and show them how to do things, only to have to go over it all again.

In short, I'll do something about it for sure, I just need a week where I'm not buried. Please be patient. :)

PS - as sort of a quick fix, I have limited new threads to just 1 per 24 hours for non-supporting members. At last when I turn registrations back on, if they do spam, it won't be overwhelming.

Last edited:
I agree, something has to be done. There is an update to the forum software, but the server requires a few updates before I can install it. However, at the moment I'm incredibly busy (lots of Z9 stuff) and I'm worried that if I update the forum software, there will be too may questions and I won't be able to get my other projects (namely the AF book update people are screaming for) for a week or so - just too much on my plate. Normally, if you report these I can get on them quickly, but I was traveling today. I normally shut off new signups, but figured I'd take a chance...my bad.

Also, I probably will hit a few people up to be moderators, but again, all the server and updates need to happen and I need to see what kinds of tools I might me able to install to stop the nonsense with spammers. The problem is, I don't want to get a bunch of mods approved and show them how to do things, only to have to go over it all again.

In short, I'll do something about it for sure, I just need a week where I'm not buried. Please be patient. :)

PS - as sort of a quick fix, I have limited new threads to just 1 per 24 hours for non-supporting members. At last when I turn registrations back on, if they do spam, it won't be overwhelming.
Don't sweat it Steve. We know how busy you are and that this forum is not your primary business. I just appreciate somewhere where I can chat with other nature photographers, see what other photographers are up to and learn from their experiences. Yes the spammers are a pain in the back end but we all (well most of us) know it's not your fault.

Jeff

This may sound kind of dumb, however, this is the only forum I am a member of. I tried a couple of other ones and I spent more time weeding through the spam than actually reading the content. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of one.
Where can I find information about supporting membership, etc. I would not object to investing in Steve's and Rose's time and effort and to help this forum continue to operate efficiently. I have learned so much about my equipment and photography in general here.

This may sound kind of dumb, however, this is the only forum I am a member of. I tried a couple of other ones and I spent more time weeding through the spam than actually reading the content. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of one.
Where can I find information about supporting membership, etc. I would not object to investing in Steve's and Rose's time and effort and to help this forum continue to operate efficiently. I have learned so much about my equipment and photography in general here.

It's only 20 dollars per year, or less than 1 cent for each thread I've read. Upgrade button above, easy process.

Let me know if you'd like some help, Steve. Happy to pitch in.

Back